General discussion

hdmi picture problem

Hi. I have a Samsung 40'' LE40r87BD television that seems to work perfectly; except, that is, through my HDMI cable which is attached to a cable TV box. All i get is a black and white picture. Video and DVD pictures via scart lead are fine, brilliant even, all in glorious colour. But...HDMI pictures are monochrome. I've been through all the settings on my TV and they look OK. It's only when I switch to HiDef in the Cable settings that the problem occurs. Cable company has change the STB three times all to no avail and have decided the TV is at fault. I called Samsung and they say it isnt. Funny thing is, if I connect the HDMI cable to my TV/PC Monitor the picture is fine. Is there anyone out there who can figure this out before I jump off a tall building.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: hdmi picture problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: hdmi picture problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
try another cable??

If I were you the first thing I would try is another HDMI cable. I know you mentioned that using your current cable with your TV/PC monitor works but since the cables are relatively inexpensive I would try a new one anyway. Make sure that the cable meets the specifications for the TV (HDMI version 1.3 I believe).

Good luck . . .

- Collapse -
HDMI picture problems

Thanks for trying to help buddie. I did try 3 different HDMI cables also to no avail.

- Collapse -
HDMI picture problems

fremat,

Have you checked the setting on the cable box to see if you're transmitting an HD signal, and if the selected output is HDMI? I know that in some situations, if you've selected composite, and then hook up an HDMI cable, the picture can be fuzzy, or black and white.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
HDMI Picture problem

Hi
Thanks for helping . Yes, I did set the cable box to DiDef and 720. The thing is, it was working fine until something went wrong with cable service. When it was restored the picture went mono. It's strange, too, that when I connected my PC to the TV with the HDMI cable the picture was in colour. Yet when I use the same HDMI cable from the box to the TV....black and white. It almost seems to me that there is a solution staring me in the face but I can't see it. I wonder if there is a way of restoring the TV settings (not just picture settings...back to its 'virginal state', for want of a better expression) like you can with a PC.

- Collapse -
HDMI Picture problem

fremat,

If it happened as a result of a cable service interruption, most of these can be fixed by calling up your service provider and having them reset, refresh or in some cases, update the box. My guess is that this would in most likelyhood, solve the problem.

Now, I've been wrong before. And I don't think it's your TV. BUT.. if you must absolutely go through and bring your TV back to factory (virginal - that's another way of putting it!) standards, you can do that, but you'll lose your picture settings and any adjustments you've made. If you're okay with that:

With the TV on, press and hold down the EXIT button on the menu. In about 12-15 seconds, you should receive a RESET? prompt. Click YES and then you will want to go through the plug and play setup again. (Be sure to choose HOME and NOT SHOP mode). From there, you'll be able to see if that did the trick.

I'd do the refresh/reset with the cable/sat company first, but that's just my recommendation.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
HDMI Picture problem

Thank you, friend, for that advice. I just knew there had to be a way of returning my TV to its original state......which I am reluctant to do now as, having spoken to Samsung's service department, I am still covered by warranty, and that they are sending an engineer out to me this very day. And to all those who likewise have offered advice and help, my gratitude for your kindness is unbounded. I thank you all.

CNET Forums

Forum Info