Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI out to Component input

by iceman1197 / December 29, 2008 5:24 AM PST

Hi,
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can?t seem to find it.

I am trying to connect my pc to my Yamaha receiver, to my HD projector. My receiver only has component, S-Video, Optical, and composite inputs and out puts. My projector has 2 component, 1 D5, 2 VGA, 1 composite and a single DMI input which will not work any more. I tried to force 1080 across it and now it won?t work. My computer has 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, and 1 DMI output (the DMI will not support red blue green output)

The way it is hooked up now is Charter HD DVR to Yamaha through component. Xbox 360 to Yamaha component. DVD player S-video (plan to buy a Blue ray player next year but will have the same hookup problem) PC optical for sound no video hookup yet. All devices are hooked up Optical for sound except the DVD player it is coaxle. Yamaha receiver is connected to HD projector with one Component cable.

I have seen these cables that go from HDMI on one end to Component on the other. I really wish this would work but I fear I will get the same outcome I got when I tried that with a DMI cable. Although the DMI output did not support Red Blue Green out it did give me 1280 by 1024, but not 1080i.

Does anyone know if an HDMI to Component cable will work, or will I have to buy an expensive upconverter? Do they make just a switch that has HDMI in and Component out or maybe would support all components with several different inputs and one component output? It would still have to convert I guess because most switch box's you have to have the same out as in?

Any help will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI out to Component input
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI out to Component input
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going to answer "no."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 5:43 AM PST

I have yet to find any "cable" that does this. I have seen conversion hardware in the few hundred dollar range but you wrote "cable" so my answer must be "no."

Collapse -
Ok if not cable lets talk conversion hardware
by iceman1197 / December 29, 2008 6:26 AM PST

First off thank you for saving me the time and money buying a cable that would not work.

Conversion Hardware:

What type of conversion Hardware? Are you talking about a device that takes a HDMI digital signal and converts it to an analog signal and outputs it through component cables?

Does this converter also up convert, and will it support all my hardware? Can I plug my entire video components into it and have one Component output?

What type and brand etc... Does anyone suggest?

Is there any other solution available?

If this was your system and replacing projector and receiver where not an option how would you hook this up?

Is it worth spending 150.00 + to do this?

I can get 1280 by 1040 PC to projector now without spending the money; will it give me a much cleaner image to go 1080i on a 106 inch screen? When I had it hooked up DVI to component it looked fuzzy and stretched when looking at the desktop, video was expectable but not great.

Thanks

Collapse -
Is it worth spending 150.00 + to do this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 11:59 PM PST

You have to make that decision. No one can answer this.

As to the hardware, while I've seen such at trade shows the brutal amount of money you could spend on such a converter box only makes you wonder why you would want to drop that big a hammer on your foot.

Let's peg a few conversion boxes here and as to what they do you pick up the phone and ask them. I don't want to copy their web page content here.

http://www.ambery.com/di10visccohd.html is just one of a thousand boxes to/from this or that connection.

-> HDCP is something you must be aware of when you do this.
Bob

Collapse -
personally
by bearvp / December 30, 2008 2:53 AM PST

Personally, I'd just save the $150-$200 on conversion hardware needed to do this and buy a better receiver with HDMI support. You can get a very good receiver with plenty of HDMI inputs for $500-$600, which will last you longer than that conversion hardware.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!