The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

HDMI or Component to DVI?

Has anyone tried what's out there for converting HD signals to something that a DVI computer monitor can handle? For example, can you get 1080i from an XBox 360 to display nicely on a computer monitor? What about the Playstation 3 at 1080p? Or even a Blu Ray or HD DVD player?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI or Component to DVI?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI or Component to DVI?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Computers don't like interlacing

In reply to: HDMI or Component to DVI?

I'm sorry I cannot give you a more complete answer or an anecdote about trying this type of thing myself. But I would definitely say that anything i (480i, 720i, 1080i) is going to be problematic on a computer monitor. The i stands for interlacing and this is something (evil) that you see on televisions, not monitors. I would strongly encourage you to try a progressive resolution instead. However, if you can flip back and forth, don't take my word for it, look at both and see which one you prefer. At best, I would expect a flickering with an interlaced resolution, at worst a total distortion.

Collapse -
Last time I tried...

In reply to: HDMI or Component to DVI?

My LCD monitor rejected my HD box running at 720p. Then again, it was running in 50Hz, which is standard PAL refresh rate, and something a monitor can't handle.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.