HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI _IS_ possible to lengthen

by axxies / June 23, 2010 10:14 AM PDT

I am not asking for help, but I thought I should mention the following because I have read on so many forums that this is not possible to lengthen a HDMI cable.

I built a new home in concrete for me and my family. I made some really thought through design for TV, antennas, network etc. Between my special media spot in a fixed bookshelf where I have all kinds of connections (network, antenna connectors etc) I also have empty pipes for HDMI connections. Now to the point.

I've read on several places that it is not possible to lengthen HDMI, but that is completely wrong! In my empty pipes I realized that there would be no space the connector when I pulled the cable through (in all 49' cable), so I had to cut it off. Then I bought HDMI connectors for soldering, but I gave that up because it was sooooo tiny. Instead I bought a new short HDMI cable and just cut it in two pieces. Then I started to solder the cables, taped the cable and finally tested it - it worked like a charm! The quality of the sound and video is as expected (=perfect).

So for those who claims that this is not possible, I just say: sorry guys, you haven't done it yourself. It does work!

Axel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI _IS_ possible to lengthen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI _IS_ possible to lengthen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oops
by axxies / June 23, 2010 10:15 AM PDT

It should be "between the media spot and the TV". Happy

Collapse -
Yes, but...
by axxies / June 23, 2010 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Or you can get a....

...in my case the connector was cut off because there were no room it in the pipe. The amazing thing was that a 49' / 15m cable with both connectors cut off (I had to cut the other one off too to see how it was connected to the cable so both sides were connected the same way), was lengtened.

Collapse -
How much longer did you make it?
by jcrobso / June 24, 2010 1:17 AM PDT

You didn't give that info. I understand the reason you had to cut the cable and splice to get it through the pipe.
I glad that it is working for you!

Collapse -
The length
by axxies / June 29, 2010 3:26 AM PDT

How much longer? Well, the cable in the pipe is just below 49' (15 m) and then I bought a 3' (1 m) cable to get the connectors and I didn't use the full length of that cable (I was only interested in the connectors and a small piece of the cable). The total length was about 50' when I was finished.

I am really glad it worked out. My Onkyo TX-SR608 "needs" a TV to be configured properly and it absolutely ROCKS!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.