Question

HDMI from PC to Samsung LE40F7 not working

Hello
I have installed a linux based "entertainment system" for music and video playback. The computer is an Asus eeeBox and it features both VGA and HDMI output (using an Nvidia NEO video chipset) and while I can get it to connect to my Samsung TV (LE40F7) perfectly fine through VGA with any resolution I want, the HDMI connection does not work.

I have tried different operating systems on the eeeBox, all with the same results. The HDMI cable seems to be OK, working fine with my blueray player, but when connecting to the PC the TV never picks up a signal.

I have looked through various logfiles on the computer and it seems the TV is not detected at all when connecting through HDMI. One guess is that the Samsung TV does not provide correct EDID (or whatever it's called) information.

I've read about other people having similar problems and that was solved if they put the TV source to HDMI during PC boot, but I cannot choose HDMI source if the TV does not detect an incoming signal (catch 22 problem?)

Does anyone else have the same problem? Are there any firmware upgrades I should apply, I run the TV set on the pre-installed firmware.

Thanks
/Fred

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HDMI from PC to Samsung LE40F7 not working
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HDMI from PC to Samsung LE40F7 not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Update

I just tried to connect the computer to another LCD TV and it worked perfectly fine. Problem is thus related to the Samsung TV.

- Collapse -
Sadly I disagree.

HDMI may on some displays forgive a HDCP error. As I read your post and there is Linux involved we can't be sure they got the HDCP right.

For a test, be sure to try something simple like a DVD/BR player on HDMI.
Bob

- Collapse -
I should have read the manual

New update: After reading through the manual carefully I think I found the reason. it says "you should not connect a PC to the HDMI connection, it will produce a blank screen". Yep, it sure does, works as designed in other words. Still I think its really bad that a TV that used to be somewhat high-end, (at least when I bought it) cannot connect PC through HDMI. I would expect more from Samsung.

Makes me hesitant to get me another Samsung in the future.

- Collapse -
Odd idea.

It's a very new idea to connect these PCs to TVs. You didn't do that years ago and now with all the HDCP and more hurdles you find folk that don't want to look at the issues or read any manual. I understand that they just want it to work even if the signals are incorrect.

Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Try this

CNET Forums