General discussion

HDMI from laptop to TV

I just bought a new sony laptop with a blu ray player and I connected an HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV. I am then prompted to adjust the settings if I wan't but I can't select the 1080. Also when the laptop starts to use the TV as a monitor the resolution of the laptop screen diminishes quite a bit. Does anyone know how to prevent the res change and to get the TV to 1080 instead of 720 or whatever the lowest grade is? I have tried it with movies and hulu but I can't seem to get a hidef picture on my TV

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HDMI from laptop to TV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HDMI from laptop to TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
First off

First off, are you sure both your TV and laptop are capable of 1080p? If not, that's problem number one. Second, you've discovered what many do, and why I tell people not to even bother with this sort of thing. If never works out the way you imagine it in your mind.

Right now, you have a choice. You can continue struggling with this, with very little chance of success, and success being defined as something barely approaching what you fantasized in your mind. Or you can just cut your losses and run now.

Not exactly the greatest of choices, I know, but that's the way life is sometimes. You get bad and worse for choices, and have to choose between them.

- Collapse -
hdmi

I'm 100% my TV is 1080 and was told the laptop was. I don't know how to check on the laptop but its a brand new $900 Sony withbluray. Model vpceb37fx. Would they really make a bluray player in a computer that can be ran wired or wirelessly to a TV that can't even do HD? ???

CNET Forums

Forum Info