TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI-equipped DVD Players vs. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Players

by shephrd / June 2, 2005 10:33 AM PDT

Will the future HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVD players be able to coax even better picture quality out of my old dvds than the currently available HDMI-equipped DVD players?

I'm guessing that the answer is no which would make an HDMI-equipped player slightly more appealling to me than waiting for the HD-DVD players.

I was considering returning a LG LGDVB418 I tried out (had some audio sync problems) and picking up the Toshiba SD-5980. Does anyone own or know enough about either of these players to recommend or dissuade purchasing them? I wasn't sure if I picked up a defective LGDVB418 or if it's just a consistently bad player that is prone to audio sync problems.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI-equipped DVD Players vs. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Players
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI-equipped DVD Players vs. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Players
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI?
by ahtoi / June 2, 2005 4:38 PM PDT

What has that got to do with the HD-dvd and Blu-Ray dvd format?

Better picture out of the old dvd? I doubt it.

Collapse -
re
by sears tv guy / June 3, 2005 12:56 AM PDT

I doubt it will give your old dvd's any better of a picture or at least over the up converters now. But the discs that are formated for blu-ray or hd will look awesome on one of those players

Collapse -
Question about LG DVB418 and Toshiba SD-5980
by pdawg95 / June 12, 2005 4:12 PM PDT

Hi There,

I am also considering these two models as you stated in your post. Have you figured out which one that you like better? I don't know which one is better. If you have, please let me know. I would be interested in knowing what you have discovered about the two players.

Thanks,
pdawg95

Collapse -
Toshiba SD-5980 does a great job.
by G Man / June 15, 2005 12:35 AM PDT

I have the SD-5980, and I must say, it does a great job upconverting the image hooked up to my Sony rear projection 55" LCD TV, KDF-55WF655. My old DVD player still produced a fuzzy picture on such a big TV, but the Toshiba sharpened out the lines and made the colors more vibrant. It even reads 6 flash card types, but it reads kinda slow for my use.

The included HDMI cable helped too. I've heard that an after-market Monster HDMI cable produces a beter picture, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $100 for something my eyes migth not be able to discern.

In summary, the Toshiba works great for me, and I'm enjoying all my old DVDs, like Lord of the Rings, the old Batman movies, etc., so I'd recommend it to anyone.

Collapse -
LGDVB418 DVD Player
by jengle / June 29, 2005 4:32 PM PDT

I'm on my second DVD player by this company. The manual states that when using the HDMI mode, I can only select 480p resolution on copy protected DVDs. When using non-copy protected DVDs, I should be able to select 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i resolution while in the HDMI mode. The manual does not say that I can select any mode other than 480p while using component video output.
Here is what the machine does: In HDMI mode, regardless of the DVD type that I put in, only 480p mode is available. In the component video mode, all of the video modes (480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i )can be selected.
Tech support at AG said the unit is not working right. We swapped it tonight and we get the same characteristics.

Collapse -
Toshiba SD-5980
by johncapn / July 14, 2005 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: LGDVB418 DVD Player

I have the Toshiba and love the picture to my 50' plasma. I am using Component out at the moment and will upgrade to HDMI when I can find a reasonable Home theatre amp that will switch HDMI.

seems that noone is reporting problems with this unit unlike all the othe units with "HD Upconverting"

Go for it!

Collapse -
LG has fixed the audio sync problem
by dgcassidy / July 17, 2005 9:46 PM PDT

I just got the LG and received a firmware from their customer service department very quickly after calling them. (They initially sent the wrong update, for LGDV*T*418, so if you call them be sure to specify LGDV*B*418 and make sure that they send you the right one!) The update corrects the audio synchronization problem. At least, it has for me. DivXs and DVDs from the BBC, which seemed to be my worst culprits, now play like a dream.

I only wish LG made the firmware update available online!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.