Samsung forum

General discussion

HDMI Drop Out

by searingxheretic / April 26, 2010 10:12 AM PDT

Alrighty,

I have been experiencing HDMI drop outs since I have purchased my tv 3 years ago. I thought it was issue with my cable box, but alas it is my freaking Samsung. Thanks to this forum, I have tried to update my firmware. After putting my usb thumbdrive into the tv usb port, going through the menus etc, the tv says that no file can be found to update the firmware. I am extremely frustrated and am posting this as a last ditch effort. If I can't get it fixed I am simply going to throw my remote through the tv and buy an LG.

TV Info:
Model # LN-T4042HX/XAA
Version #SQ01

I have tried using the firmware update on Samsung's website, firmware name: T-SC40AUSC.zip. I unzipped it to the thumbdrive as instructed in the pdf file and got no results. Am I using an incorrect update?

My tv is also making the capacitor clicking noise. If I can't fix one of these two problems then I am going to get my sledge hammer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI Drop Out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI Drop Out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI Drop Out
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 29, 2010 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI Drop Out

searingxheretic,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem.

I checked, but I didn't see any firmware update on the Samsung's U.S. website. Where did you find the file you're referring to? Can you provide a link? It may not be the correct firmware, and would not install as a result.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Perhaps there is no resolution...
by searingxheretic / May 1, 2010 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI Drop Out

Thanks for your reply.

I contacted Samsung support through e-mail, and they stated also that there is no firmware update for my television. They also stated that the HDMI drop out is not an known issue with my tv. While this may be the case in Samsung's eyes, I assure you that I have an issue with HDMI drop out. I have actually had this problem for 2.5 years now since purchase, but have just recently read that this is a more common problem with other Samsung televisions other than my own.

The firmware update that I found is listed in the FAQ on samsung.com, but this is apparently not correct for my television. In the FAQ it lists LN-T4042HX.. is my TV a different version because it is a LN-T4042HX/XAA??? URL for FAQ is listed below:
http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?AT_ID=158982&PROD_ID=154&PG_ID=-1&PROD_SUB_ID=0

Also, as stated my tv is also making the dreading "clicking noise" on start up. Can you tell me if my tv would be eligible for a free service repair to fix this issue? Samsung.com lists my tv as being manufactured on 3/31/2007

Thanks again for your help.

On a side note, the customer service via e-mail from samsung.com is horribly bad. Their first reply was a copy and paste reply for a DVD PLAYER and not even a television, let alone my version of television. After replying, nastily to my regret, I received a second e-mail that was much more accurate stating there was no firmware updated for my tv.

Collapse -
Perhaps there is no resolution...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 4, 2010 2:27 PM PDT

searingxheretic,

I'm sorry for your experience. I can appreciate the frustration of receiving a reply that didn't apply to your situation, and it was likely an oversight from someone. Still, it shouldn't have happened.

The /XAA at the end of the model number notes that it's a set manufactured for U.S. use (broadcasting frequencies, wall outlet, voltage, etc), so that model would be a match.

Be sure to use a USB drive that is freshly formatted, and unzip your file to the desktop, and launch it from the desktop, and when you launch it, it will ask you where you want to install the file. Choose the drive that pertains to the freshly formatted thumbdrive.

I can't determine if your set is eligible for a repair out of warranty for the clicking symptom. Unfortunately, that answer would have to come from the service department, and you can reach them at 800-SAMSUNG. If you don't get the service you hope for, ask to be escalated.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!