General discussion

HDMI connection to monitor gives blue screen, (VGA is fine)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HDMI connection to monitor gives blue screen, (VGA is fine)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HDMI connection to monitor gives blue screen, (VGA is fine)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What happens...

Are you making the connection when the Gateway and monitor are both turned on? Try connecting them while the Gateway is powered down then turn it on and let us know what happens.

- Collapse -
the same blue screen

Hi jeff,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried connecting with the PC on and then with the PC off and then booted up. The result is the same - blue screen. And then I can "hot switch" with the PC on over to VGA and it works. (The monitor was always on the whole time).

- Collapse -
It's not the monitor or the cable ...

OK - Latest update. I did find another HDMI source (thank you Roku box). Hooked up same cable and monitor - worked with Roku box right away. So monitor and cable are good

Another tidbit ... When I reconnected monitor and powered up with HDMI cable and HDMI monitor input selected, I saw Vista status bar on start up - but screen went blue again before Windows icon appeared. (I had never noticed before as I was always switching from VGA display setting during startup and never noticed).

Does anyone use a Intel x4500 integrated graphics card with HDMI? What version of the driver do you have? (right click Desktop > Grpahocs Properties > i info icon top right corner > Driver version)

Thanks.

- Collapse -
Show us the screen shot of the control panel.
- Collapse -
Intel Graphics Properties pic
- Collapse -
As a test.

Swap that digital television to be the primary device.

You're very close but I DO NOT have your setup so while you are close I can't see all the control panel options.

- Collapse -
Had The Same Problem

I've had the same scenario happen to me twice on the brand new Gateway SX2800 but with a brand new Dell monitor (HDMI) and an older VGA monitor

I tried booting and rebooting Vista, extending desktop, not extending, connecting and disconnecting HDMI cable, hot and not hot, turning monitor on and off, reinstalling video drivers, etc. Still just a dark (kind of blue I guess) screen on my HDMI monitor. (AGONY)!

FINALLY, what I determined is that power cycling the monitor at the switch was not enough. I fully unplugged the monitor POWER from the WALL and allowed it to reboot (Reboot a monitor? I guess so).

Whala - Video flashed on the screen and I was able to get it set back up again to my dual monitor ways.

WHEW!

- Collapse -
finally gave up on the Asus

Thanks for the reply.

I had powered down my monitor too, but I still got the blue no-input screen.

Weirdness. Like I said before the Asus worked with the HDMI connection on my Roku video streamer box - so I didn't think it was the monitor.

Ended up getting a exchange on the Gateway SX2800 - thinking I had a lemon graphics card. New SX2800 had the same issue - blue screen.

Out of frustration, ended up trying out a brand new Samsung 2494HM and a brand new Viewsonic somethin-or-other. Both worked immediately with the HDMI connection!!! Plug and play!!!

Sent the Asus back - very annoying - who knows what the issue is. Kept the Samsung, looked better than Viewsonic - it also has a switch to correct for HDMI overscan(desktop extending past the screen), since the intel x4500 does not have any corrections for that. Hope this helps somebody.

CNET Forums

Forum Info