TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI cable?

by dodgers_Packers / July 6, 2005 4:34 PM PDT

I saw an HDMI cable being sold at best buy, and it said that it was "For high-definition video (720p and 1080i) or standard video formats" Now does that mean that the cable will not display 1080p video if I were to use it with a 1080p dlp set?

I also want to know about the new upconverting HD dvd players. How does that work?, does it upconvert any dvd to High definition?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI cable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI cable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI cable?
by jcrobso / July 7, 2005 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI cable?

"I saw an HDMI cable being sold at best buy, and it said that it was "For high-definition video (720p and 1080i) or standard video formats" Now does that mean that the cable will not display 1080p video if I were to use it with a 1080p dlp set?"
1080p is a standard HD format. but it's not in use yet.
"new upconverting HD dvd players"
Keep in mind that DVDs are 480p.
A good stand alone scan converter cost $1000.
A scan converter can NOT add quality, but just changes the format of the image. John

Collapse -
problem solved
by stewart norrie / July 7, 2005 9:09 AM PDT

For a stunning picture you should use a h.d.m.i or d.v.i cable from your satellite or cable h.d converter also d.v.d players are not hi-def but to get the best possible picture from your d.v.d player use one with d.v.i. output and since your hi-def set has only one h.d.m.i input you will need a GIFFEN d.v.i. switcher in closing d.v.i. and h.d.m.i are the same except h.d.m.i also carries sound also most hi-def converters and d.v.d players only use d.v.i. output so you can buy an adperter for the input on your t.v. please respond to me iam under stewart nirrie in this **** group good luck

Collapse -
Not all cables are equal.
by jodiedavid / July 7, 2005 11:55 PM PDT

You will find a lot of arguments about cables. My tv and dvd player have HDMI inputs, I chose not to use HDMI because the black levels are poorer with HDMI and a few other things (with my equipment), and Componet cables do a better job and those levels. The only real avantage that HDMI has over others is that it carries audio. Alot of people think you can get a HDMI to DVI cable it will still carry audio, but it wont work, so dont try. For great information about Home Audio, theater, Cables, dvd players, speakers and Etc.. Here is a must go to web site. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html You will find everything there you wanted to know and things you never know about home theater. I would wait until the REAL HD dvd players come out this year, not the upscalers. If you ask the same questions in the forum at the website I gave you, you will get answers that really explaining these things. Let me know if you post.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.