TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

hdmi audio but no video!

Brand new Lenovo ideacentre A7 series desktop with win8.
Ran HDMI to my Yamaha RX-V373 receiver then into my tv. Video but no audio which I then solved by updating sound driver. Worked perfect for one day. Now I get audio but no video. I see my desktop on the tv but without my apps icons and nothing happens when I play a computer video.

Does anyone have know what is happening? I did order new HDMI cables in the hope that they are bad.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hdmi audio but no video!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hdmi audio but no video!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I have no mouse when hdmi is plugged in.

In reply to: hdmi audio but no video!

Thanks Bob. It makes sense that I've cloned the desktop. This morning I lost my mouse when I plugged in hdmi cable. So my system is deteriorating; It has went from perfect hdmi with video and audio, to audio but no video, to cloned desktop without any applications showing but with mouse control, to the same desktop without mouse control.

I rebooted but to no avail. I cannot access the screen resolution when the hdmi cable is plugged in as I do not have any mouse to use. I hope I am making the problem clear enough for you to help. thanks.

Collapse -
update

In reply to: I have no mouse when hdmi is plugged in.

I used NVIDIA control panel to rigorous detect my tv monitor and then extended the displays. I now have my mouse back when I plug in the hdmi cable.

However, the hdmi display on my tv still shows my desktop but no application icons. It continues to play audio but no video.

Collapse -
That's the extended desktop.

In reply to: update

The video needs to be played in a window and not full screen. Now you can drag that window from one display to the next and share the results.
Bob

Collapse -
Very odd.

In reply to: I have no mouse when hdmi is plugged in.

Keep in mind that all menus so far have been navigable with the keyboard. I can't guess why it's getting worse given the details so far and my usual guess is the owner has been trying driver updates from Microsoft (always a source of trouble.)
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
problem solved

The desktop screen resolution would not detect another monitor so I went back to NVIDIA control panel to check it again. It showed my tv and my computer so I was stumped. I then noticed an option was to clone my tv to my computer. While I thought this was my original mistake I tried it out of desperation.

It worked. Everything is fully functional. Thanks again Bob for your help.

p.s. I had updated Microsoft's driver with NVIDIA GE force gt 630M, but didn't know that I had to navigate NVIDIA's control panel.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you can see the desktop

Then it's likely the same old issue where you cloned the desktop on the HDMI. Try extending the windows desktop (I'm going to shortchange you since that's all over the web) and then play the video in a window and drag it to the second display.

Or make the HDMI display the primary display.

You may have a good question such as should Microsoft have issued an OS to consumers that demanded such knowledge and lingo?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
HDMI and audio

Many users have reported some strange interactions that seem to migrate from device but is based on one device - - the HDTV. HDMI has some handshaking that goes on between devices and and example is thatmy HDTV displays nothing unless I move something into the extended display area, then it comes to life. Cloning always worked, just the funny extended quirk. This has been seen with Samsung, Sony, Toshiba and Vizio. Nvidia seems to have some slightly different way of detecting things (handshaking) on its HDMI output and this happens on boot up so it doesn't detect it unless the extended unit is powered on too. Harkens back to an old boot sequence.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!