TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI and Comcast cable boxes

by sciadvisor / August 12, 2010 11:32 AM PDT

Over the past couple of years I have had problems hooking up any HD plasma tv with HDMI to the Comcast cable box - seems like a simple thing to do - plug in my expensive HDMI cable into the Comcast cable box and then plug the other end into the tv. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. After years of this "works for a while and then it stops" - or multiple cable boxes from Comcast that don't work... today the technician who came to my home said - "there is a problem with the boxes and not all of them work right" - how can this be? Is it true??? So many of them?? I can't go into all the combinations of boxes and tvs I've tried but right now I have a 32 inch Samsung hooked up with component cables to a DCT3416 1 Motorola box because the HDMI connection from the box does not work (an HDMI DVD player does work with the tv however) and a cable connection from a Motorola cable box without an HDMI hookup (because the technician didn't realize I wanted one) to a 42 inch Panasonic. They will bring me two more boxes with HDMI next week to try again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI and Comcast cable boxes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI and Comcast cable boxes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let us know how it come out.
by ahtoi / August 12, 2010 1:32 PM PDT

I am curious if it's an compatibility issue. The reason I am curious because i have that same problem from day one (I am with TWC). I never press the issue because the component connection was good enough for me, but that really would be a problem if the TV only have hdmi.

Collapse -
I switched Comcast issued Motorola boxes six times...
by Pepe7 / August 13, 2010 2:19 AM PDT

...before finding the one that stuck. This problem, as you have also experienced, has been around for quite some time now. We are all slaves to the franchise rights for CATV service granted by our local entities/government ;(.

Collapse -
Listen to the man.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 2:22 AM PDT

There are a lot of bum cable boxes out there. The HDTV makers are getting a lot of calls over this one.

Collapse -
Component Cable are just fine
by FaithfulSinner / August 19, 2010 1:49 AM PDT

When getting HD from your cable box to your TV, using component cables will handle the HD image just as good. There is no audio, but at least you won't have to worry about losing the signal alltogether. I have purchased from this company before. They have very inexpensive, quality cables:

This one is only a few dollars more and is super high quality:

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?