TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI - 1080P cable run

by guaranty / July 1, 2009 1:54 AM PDT

I am installing a new HDTV under an outside patio. The hardware (AV receiver, sat rec, Blu Ray, etc.) are located in a closet in home. Need to run approx 115' of (underground in conduit) cable to outdoor HDTV and want to be able to receive 1080P (not just 1080i) on outside HDTV.

Can this be done? If so, any tech suggestions?

Thank you.
Allen

SYS INFO:
new Onkyo TXHR 706 AV Receiver
new Sharp 47" 1080P HDTV
new Samsung Blu Ray player
DirecTV sat dish with HD receiver

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI - 1080P cable run
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI - 1080P cable run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wirelessly
by givemeaname / July 1, 2009 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI - 1080P cable run

It would push the HDMI to the limits and also finding one that long would be costly, even a cheap brand.

Look at getting a 'Sling Box' to hook the DVR, Bluray and whatever else you have to make them wireless and then a 'SlingCatcher' hooked up to the TV. You just want to makesure it is in range of the SlingBox, I think the range is like 200ft, but check on that!!!

Collapse -
HDMI
by guaranty / July 1, 2009 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Wirelessly

Thank you very much for the advise. Will follow-through.

Regards.

Collapse -
HDMI Repeater
by WildClay / July 1, 2009 6:42 AM PDT

You can get an hdmi repoeater that gives a 200' range will full features, they are expensive. Look at www.cablestogo.com then product Product #: 40383

It is a couple hundred bucks, you might find them cheaper if you hunt around.

Collapse -
Run sheilded CAT5
by gabereyes / July 1, 2009 1:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
cat5e? cat6?
by Pepe7 / July 2, 2009 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Run sheilded CAT5

I found this thread at AVS interesting, but it didn't arrive at any particular conclusion regarding absolute cabling needs-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=927050

In your experience would there be any particular advantage running some sort of 'active' HDMI cable vs more passive solutions? At least at this 100'+ run(?) My friend asked me about repeaters for his HT and I didn't have enough info to really say either way.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Cat 5 is fine
by gabereyes / July 2, 2009 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: cat5e? cat6?

but you could run Cat6 to be safe, you might just have an extra wire.

there's no down fall with having extra wires.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!