TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI ? 1.0 to 1.3

by hyghwayman / November 19, 2006 5:40 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI ? 1.0 to 1.3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI ? 1.0 to 1.3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Generally speaking, no
by NM_Bill / November 19, 2006 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: HDMI ? 1.0 to 1.3

HDMI will be the preferred connector in the future, but it's implementation from product to product now is problematic. Product makers are apparently not consistently applying HDMI yet. Review sites that do lab tests reveal a hodge-podge of mixed results - sometimes the HDMI connection provides better results; sometimes vice-versa.

These things will probably get worked out with some time, but no reason to obsess about it now. Anyone wanting the best connection now should have reasonably priced HDMI & alternate connectors & try both to see which works better for you with your specific equipment. Sorry that sounds lame, but that's the way the connectors are now.

Collapse -
But it has component!!! This will do the job.
by jcrobso / November 19, 2006 11:35 PM PST

Sadly CRT sets are on the decline, this why there is no update of the CRT sets. John

Collapse -
HDMI? 1.0 to 1.3 - Why HDMI 1.3 is absolutely essential !
by jaybme82 / November 20, 2006 10:16 AM PST
http://forums.cnet.com/5224-7596_102-0.html?forumID=60&threadID=219278&messageID=2326981

SUBJECT: HDMI? 1.0 to 1.3

You are extremely lucky!

I was just on my way-out, but trying to find a forum, which I posted a message on, when I found your request for more knowledge about HDMI 1.3.

I shall store this website URL page onto my desktop, until I get back.

But, take my word for it, somebody who knows about HDMI 1.3 who then buys HDMI 1.3 is a complete idiot!

I shall continue and provide proof when I get back.

NB! This must be your lucky day!

I shall get back to replying to your message.

The experts say that to maximise the benefit of High Definition (HD) TV that the TV should be at least 40" and I am sure that it is at least 99% correct.

It probably has something to do with how far you have to watch the TV based on its size.

I wouldn't buy a TV unless it has 1920x1080p resolution.

For example I am sure that the film studios and probably broadcasting will be using 1920x1080p cameras, which means why pay more money to convert 1080p to 1080i to give an inferior picture quality and have to switch backwards and forwards when a fast moving object for example a fast enough moving car appears on the TV etcetera.

It has been stated that HD is more expensive than normal standard definition TV (SD) picture, but I don't think any person has asked the commonsense question why convert a 1080p signal to a 1080i signal, which is more expensive and creates an inferior picture etcetera.

I haven't seen the Samsung HD CRT TV, because I don't think that it is available in the UK yet.

I don't have much faith in the reviews on the website, which you gave:

1) Impossible virtually for it to get 5/5 for picture or sound
because I am sure that more expensive Samsung HD TVs are not
perfect for picture and sound.
A) For example for sound, the following should be better; 5.1,
6.1, 7.1, Prologic II, Prologic IIx, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby
Digital Plus, and DTS-HD.
B) It is obvious that the reviewers have not compared the Samsung
27" Slim Fit HDTV (TXS2782H) with for example; Sony 1080p TVs,
the best; Pioneer TVs, Panasonic, and the Philips HD TVs.

I shall now discuss the HDMI: 1.1, 2.0, 2.0a and 1.3.

You should be extremely concerned if you buy any HD product, which does not have HDMI 1.3.

1) I have heard of HDMI sockets or plugs falling off HD products.
A) Unfortunately, it would take too long to find out where I read
that information from and supply it to you.
B) BUT! The HDMI 1.3 is going to be a different shape, which is
probably to solve the problem of HDMI falling off HD products.
c) The picture quality should be substantially be improved.
1: At the moment the colour is capped causing banding and poor
picture quality.
A: Instead of displaying millions of colours
B: HDMI 1.3 will enable Billions of colours
C: A Billion is one hundred million
1* Increase of 100 times.
2* Not just double but 100 times!
2: High Definition Digital Sound
A: Dolby Digital Plus
B: Dolby TrueHD
C: DTS-HD
3: Future compatibility with PC and Media system (wireless)
4: HDCP appears to be extremely unreliable, which probably an
HDMI 1.3 should solve.
5: Whether or not there are problems with AACS (encryption used
by film studios) HDMI 1.3 should reduce problems and
for example improve picture quality.
6: HDMI 1.3 should be backward compatibility
A: I shall believe it when I see it for example
B: Sony creating a BLU-RAY Computer, which probably cannot
play HD films, and cannot play MPEG 4 DVDs.
C: The HDMI 1.1, 2.0, 2.0a are not forward compatible to
HDMI 1.3 HD products.
D: There is a saying that it is impossible to fit a square
peg into a round hole I think it is
E: I am at least 99% certain that the new shape and version
of HDMI 1.3 will replace the HDMI: 1.1, 2.0, and 2.0a.
This means that the existing HDMI: 1.1, 2.0 and 2.0a HD
products are already virtually obsolete.
F: I also think that the reason why they are marketing the
HDMI 1.3 now instead of probably a few years time, is
because people like me are not being con by the
propaganda being given out by the establishment, which
includes some editors.
G: For example too many HD TVs provide a dreadful picture
quality (Shimmering, Artefacts, and Banding etcetera) in
Standard Definition and HD mode.
H: One reason for the poor picture quality is that the
picture has been capped (limited) unnecessarily.
I: Some people are going to say but
J: For example the Sony 1080p TVs are excellent but I would
say that HDMI 1.3 would take us a step near to 3D TV.
K: Before I forget, there is not just one new HDMI 1.3
L: But there will be two new ones.
1* The main one with a new shape
2* A mini one for cameras etcetera, which don't exist on
present HD products apart for maybe Sony?s PSP3 game
controller (late 2006).
3* The new HD products with HDMI 1.3 should be available
in early 2007.
4* I cannot see manufacturers who are taking shortcuts
using both existing HDMI sockets and HDMI 1.3
A* HDMI 1.3 is actually and literally should be
completely a different shape from the present HDMIs
5* Therefore, in my opinion people have been ripped off
by the establishment including some editors who
should know better!
6* Philips have created a chip - cost U$ 0.97 (think).

2) Hopefully, there should be a new HD TV called a Laser TV and LCOS.
A: LCOS is probably already in production.
B: SED:
c: Laser TV probably only one prototype has been demonstrated in
public and that was by Mitsubishi.
D: Nanotube - Combine CRT and LCD technology.
3) Therefore, I think that:-
A) DLP will probably replace plasma.
B) SED will be superior to LCD.
C) Laser will replace LCD & plasma if claims have not been hyped
1: But LCD would have to fight back with lower prices and 1080p.
D) Experts have been claiming that HD TV prices will be rising
But I think the only direction for HD prices is down relatively
speaking.

NB! Before I forget again, I shall include some websites, which maybe
useful - Independent proof.

http://hdmi.org/about/faq.asp

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/articles-author.php?id=16

http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060801.asp

http://www.mitsubishielectric-usa.com/news/2006/Mitsubishi%20demonstrates%20laser%20HDTV.htm

http://www.gadgetspy.co.uk/2006/04/03/laser-powered-flat-screen-tv

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20556847-2,00.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20930

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1979393,00.asp

http://www.i4u.com/article5297.html
Collapse -
Please clarify!
by Pakman3000 / November 20, 2006 11:33 AM PST

I hope when you return that you clarify what you're saying because you are all over the place. You say "But, take my word for it, somebody who knows about HDMI 1.3 who then buys HDMI 1.3 is a complete idiot!". Then you hype up 1.3. You say it's backward compatible then you say existing HDMI products will be obsolete. The shape of the connector will not change. They just added a mini connector because of the newer HD camcorders etc. You're also using maybe and probably
alot. HDMI.org is the definitive HDMI spot for HDMI info. The main draw to 1.3 is the upgrade in sound quality. I know there'll be billions of colors but the human eye can only discern so much! This isn't like the 1080p debate which is a huge increase from 1 to 2 million pixels. HDMI 1.3 will not cure cancer!

Collapse -
Careful with the facts...
by sirroundsound / November 20, 2006 12:21 PM PST

Your enthusiasm about HDMI 1.3 is fine, but lets fine tune a little of what you are saying.

True - HD should be on a 40" + size screen, in fact to achieve true HD 50" and above used to be the rule, just due to resolution (1920 X 1080)

Film studios use film, which ultimatly gets "converted" to disc or other medium for broadcast and home use. The quality you see on your TV has nothing to do with how a movie was filmed. Even live TV or Studio TV is going to look good or bad based on cameras used, and delivery method. Just because it's an HD channel doesn't mean it will look great. No one can force ABC or CBS to buy the top quality 1080p cameras when they can use 480p or other. I am sure many here that already have HD programming will agree that there are lots of differences that are VERY visual between one HD channel and another.

Just because a TV says it can do 1080p doesn't mean it shows it, it could be scaling the picture down to it's native resolution.

Hdmi 1.3 - yes it's coming, and yes it will ALLOW for tons more colour and other features, which also have to come along too. Right now 1.3 would look the same as 1.0. (I have never heard of 2.0, maybe thinking about USB)

As for the different shape, I have heard both sides of this, so, not sure untill it actually shows up. Yes the smaller connector will be for camcorders etc, but I understand for consumer electronics it will look the same, or their will be an adapter. I also have heard that you will be able to plug in a 1.3 into a 1.0 set, just won't be able to take advantage of all the features.

In north america a billion is 1,000 million.

(3)The connectors only fall off when you get cheap gear or wires, you can have the same issues with other connectors too.
(4)HDCP isn't unreliable, some manufactures are too cheap to build product that meets HDMI and HDCP spec's, so you end up trying to connect 2 pieces of equipment with HDMI and it doesn't work, usually because there isn't a handshake between them.
Look up simplay HD.
(5) 1.3 won't solve this issue, see above
(6e) you mention 2.0 and 2.0a hd, I have looked around and can't find anything about those formats
(6f) Very few people know about 1.3, I really don't think they are marketing it quite yet, remember 1.3 really is more like a doorway to allow even better content. My guess is that the gaming market will be the first to really embrace it for picture quality, some manufactures might jump quickly for the communication between components.

Laser TV is being worked on, prototypes exsist. But probably a long way off before we see sets in stores.

Lcos has been around for awhile and is very good, actually Lcos is Sony's name for JVC's DiLA. Not Flat TV's though, but excellent picture quality. I use JVC's in a lot of projects.

DLP to replace plasma, Hmm, not likely. You have been reading things written by the "establishment" haven't you... and it's LCD replacing plasma that some seem to think will happen. I'm not sure why, plasma works very well, none of these dead pixel problems, great picture when set up correctly. Some writer somewhere without all the facts must have started that one.

You missed the other tech, LED's. They are already in use in large displays (billboard and bigger) it could just be a matter of time before we see them in something smaller. LED's use very little power and have a life of 100,000 hrs.

HD tv's have come down in price, how much lower do they have to go?
You can already buy a 42" plasma for less than what it would have cost you for a Sony 32" XBR CRT set about 5 years ago. The margins have shrunk to the point that CI firms are now not bothering to sell them, just charge to install them.

It's just TV... buy something nice, and keep in mind you will have to endure some good pictures and some bad ones, while we go through the transistion to all HD programming (eventually).

Collapse -
Don't wait
by Pakman3000 / November 20, 2006 12:27 PM PST

HDMI 1.3 is cool on paper, but is everyone gonna go through this everytime they improve upon this technology? What's gonna happen for HDMI 1.4 etc? You can never get ahead or keep up with technology. Just get a set that looks good to your eyes!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?