Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

HDD slowly filling up 3 gbs a day

by Aus10eric / April 14, 2015 10:15 PM PDT

Okay so my HDD has been filling up even when i haven't downloaded anything. i got tree size to scan and found that system volume information is taking up all the space.
i only have 150 gbs of personal stuff from games, to music.

can i delete some of these redundant looking files?

if i do will it damage my computer?

and how can i delete them if possible?

Image:
http://imgur.com/gallery/XrxnH71/new

Aus10eric has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDD slowly filling up 3 gbs a day
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDD slowly filling up 3 gbs a day
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Aus10eric

Collapse -
Re: system volume information
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 14, 2015 10:23 PM PDT

That's not good, that it's incrementing so much so fast.

Anyway, to empty it just turn off system restore and turn it on again.
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-vista/enable-disable-system-restore-vista/ tells how to do it in Windwos Vista, but it's more or less the same in other versions of Windows.

Did you know you can set a limit to the maximum space used? Default is quite high, but if you set it to 5 GB it suffices for normal circumstances.

Kees

Collapse -
System restore
by Aus10eric / April 15, 2015 4:25 AM PDT

i run windows 7 professional. system restore doesn't have open system protection button.
how do i turn or limit the amount it backs up ?
and could there possibly be some type of virus or bug thats just using the system volume information folder as a place to dump redundant files ?

Collapse -
This any help?
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 15, 2015 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: System restore
Collapse -
yep
by Aus10eric / April 15, 2015 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: This any help?

yeah i just found that a few minutes ago and did it.
Thanks for posting it though. i've set it to 15 percent. and i have almost a whole TB more of room now.

Collapse -
Answer
I don't know about games, but...
by Oldartq / April 15, 2015 12:46 AM PDT

if it's anything like video, it could very easily fill up that harddrive. The nice thing about Hdd. is that they are very inexpensive now. So maybe an external Hdd. maybe a way for a solution.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!