Alert

HDD Reliability for 2014 is out. Scary. August 2016 Update

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/01/hard-disk-reliability-examined-once-more-hgst-rules-seagate-is-alarming/

August 2016 update. Read https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q2-2016/

Seagate stays in the lead. Shocked

March 2016 update. Read https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q4-2015/
Graphic follows.

Updated by moderator June 2015
For 2015 read https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

Some models have scary failure rates.

December 18, 2015 Update. Seagate gets better(!?) Angry

Post was last edited on October 17, 2016 12:35 PM PDT

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HDD Reliability for 2014 is out. Scary. August 2016 Update
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HDD Reliability for 2014 is out. Scary. August 2016 Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) Interesting ...Scary. Thanks
- Collapse -
Very interesting

My next hard drive purchase will be a HGST drive. I've been buying WD, Seagate, and Toshiba drives and having good success with all of them, but I'll sure have to check out the HGST ones next time I buy one.

- Collapse -
At risk of this being called spam. The BackBlaze page...
- Collapse -
Ok , I read both

I don't see anything about a 1TB HDD . I don't know anyone with over 1TB HDD and I thought these articles were talking about big servers and such.
Now don't shoot the newbie here but ...... Are we all moving to 2TB+ HDDS now? Heck

Digger!

- Collapse -
I had curbed my comments for a day or so.

The cost of producing a 1 or 2 TB HDD in the 3.5 inch form factor is now, from what I've heard is a dollar or less so there's that.

As to "big servers" I added the backblaze blog article to show they are using the same drives we would use in everyday PCs but slipping them into their racks.

Yes there are "enterprise", high reliability drives but backblaze discovered that in bulk that the everyday models are cheaper. For them it's a simple numbers game.

-> Which we benefit from by them sharing the failure rates. Win win.

Maybe they have results from a year or two ago on 1TB drives?
Bob

- Collapse -
Don't know anyone with over 1Tb HDD?

Wow, you must not hang out with computer people much. I know people who are now selling off their 2 & 3Tb drives to replace them with 4-6Tb ones. I haven't owned a drive smaller than 2Tb in about five years.

- Collapse -
That's because...

Seagate owns Maxtor for some time and probably dumping those products or technology still on the shelfs. Because I offer that you can take it or leave it. Happy Maxtor, IMHO wasn't that good.

However, Seagate has brought others and it maybe a reflection of just getting rid of any backroom stock. WD own HGST. It appears WD and Seagate are about the only HD players out there, but in your website link they don't use WD drives parse, rather the HGST models.

Allow me to recall the best PC type drives I ever liked or wanted were CDC or similar. That was a long time ago when $ meant a big difference. The PC drives back in the 80's were I liked were Mitsubishi, I could reformat MFM to RFD(gawd, I forget the format) and practically double the storage easily and be reliable.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Was it, run debug and

g=c800Shocked

- Collapse -
(NT) I have that in my old "tech bible"
- Collapse -
(NT) How about RLL or ESDI ??
- Collapse -
Yeah....RLL

I went to ESDI when I could but that didn't last long. I bargained and begged to get something bigger all the time. I also, got into "refurbs" and started a business to resell them. It lasted for a couple of yrs. until the market caved. The big seller was slot HDs, mount 3.5 drives onto brackets and i/f card combo. Tandy PCs were a big hit back then I found the in/outs of making these work and due to limited space, capable to install and get it all working. I lot of users were willing to shove anything in, but I had a working setup and basically relatively new build at that, not used. or that old. Ahh, the olden days. ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Any long term reliability figures for SSDs?

I think this will become the norm in the future and have SSDs as the primary drive in all my systems. I am sure they are all pretty reliable as this isn't brand new tech as of now and it is becoming more commonplace.

Are there any brands of SSD to AVOID right now?

- Collapse -
Just a few years ago I would not touch SSDs.

But given the price drop and better reliability I use them.

However since HDDs are still unreliable we still backup. Again....

"We only lose what we don't backup." -CNET Moderators.

- Collapse -
AS FOR HD's, FOR ME, IT ALL DEPENDS....

I'm using as a backup, a 500GB Seagate Slim SSD and so far it's been doing ok. I've been using it for two years, laying on my desk, attached to my HP envy desktop, in the open air and about 78 degrees daily environment. I just read an article from Tech Republic about SSD's and it doesn't look promising for the long term using SSD's unless something is done to make them less temp. sensitive and also to be able to determine when there's a data dropout, how or what caused it. Standard HD's give you accessibility to to problems and tend not to be too temp. sensitive.
I also use 64GB thumb drives for backup but I also hear bad tales about those to, so what the heck....just learn to accept the fact that there is "no perfect HD" that will give you 100% of what you want or really need so you'll have to do what you can with what you have available until some realistic data and manufacturing techniques improve drastically across the board. If you are lucky enough to still have an old desktop with XP and some form of a hard drive, then just remember how long it has lasted without failure, hard failure, that is and let that be your guide. I think we all want the ultimate HD with no failures, infinite (almost) storage capability and at the cheapest price. Well, ya know how things work, what ya wants and what ya's get is two different things. Just research what product you want to buy for what you need so that it provides you the greatest, and hopefully most reliable function you can get.

- Collapse -
Seeing Same Results Here

I run a data recovery company (www.data-medics.com), and we are seeing these same statistics here, so it's not just BackBlaze's usage that's killing them. Although they might be killing them slightly faster. We get about 2 or 3 just of model ST3000DM001 in for recovery on average each week. Which is about 20X higher than any other model.

Apple is even offering to replace 3Tb Seagates in all their iMac computers for free: https://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive-3tb/ So obviously they are seeing this correlation too.

Newer HGST drives almost never show up here, and Toshiba seem to be even less. WD seems to be pretty much business as usual with failure rates.

- Collapse -
Portable vs desktop external backup drives

Are the reliability data for portable external or desktop external backup drives,or for both?

Are there any adverse consequences of using a desktop backup drive to back up a Samsung PC laptop.

- Collapse -
Please post new questions in new threads.

And there are hard to find MTBF figures for both. For now you need to backup to more than one thing and place. One single backup copy is not full backup. Again. Avoid posting in the forum stickies. I'll lock this one.

CNET Forums