Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hdd Recovery Partition Size

by Mr. Roboto / March 3, 2005 9:37 PM PST

Does it matter how much unused space there is on the recovery partition? I don't see where it would matter but would like a second opinion.

I made the recovery partition on the new hdd about 600Mb smaller of unused space then the orginal. So now it has 517Mb of unused space vs about 1.2Gb

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Rethink, please
by Willy / March 3, 2005 10:42 PM PST

The whole idea of a recovery partition is to hold the required info needed upon the dreaded later date. If you're using recovery CDs and/or OS from the OEM vendor, it should automatically make it back to the day it was made at least big name vendors. Just follow the prompts or guide for a true mirror image of what was on that 1st day. Also, I'm sure there's a finite space required, so reducing it too small isn't going to help maybe hinder the process. If this all to just gain more space, is the 600mb worth that much trouble, maybe better to get a larger HD if possible.

enjoy Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
Poorly Worded
by Mr. Roboto / March 3, 2005 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Rethink, please

I worded that poorly. I replaced the hdd in an hp pavilion 304w and created a system and recovery partition on the new hdd. I then cloned the old partitions from the old hdd to the new.

There was about 1.2Gb of unused space left on the recovery partition of the old hdd. So I couldn't understand why the company left such a large amount of unused wasted space.

On the new hdd I left only 512Mb of unused space on the recovery partition after cloning of the recovery system. As far as I know the recovery partition isn't wrote to during the recovery process. It only copies the recovery back to the system partition.

So I wasn't completely sure that the recovery partition isn't written back to during the recovery process. If it is then maybe I need to make that unused space a little bigger.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!