PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HDD Problem- Please Help Fast

Ok, I'm on a computer at the library. Because of loudness of my Dell Dimension 8200, I called Dell about the problem. Anyway, after some tests and unplugging fans and my hard drive, we came to the conclusion that we needed a new HD. Anyway, Dell is sending a new one, blah blah blah. The main concern is that now the hard drive doesn't work and I can't start-up the computer. I get an error like "can't find hard drive (device 0). Before, the HDD work perfectly other than the noise. I want to recover some of my files off the old HDD before I get the new one. Dell was un-helpful. Any suggestions. I've already tried un-plugging and re-plugging the HDD.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDD Problem- Please Help Fast
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDD Problem- Please Help Fast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HDD Problem- Please Help Fast

In reply to: HDD Problem- Please Help Fast

I can't help those that don't backup or take the hint that the drive is failing either. This seems to be the only way people learn at times. At least I'll make your the BACKUP POSTER PERSON OF THE MONTH if that makes you feel better.

Try one last thing. Load the BIOS defaults and make sure it's on a good IDE cable.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: HDD Problem- Please Help Fast

About the bIOS, I don't know what your talking about, newbie here. Anyway, the HDD didn't fail. The problem is that since opening the case and un-plugging the HDD, it hasn't worked. I doubt it was a coincidence that the drive failing the second we openned it, because it was making loud noise all month.

Collapse -

well loud noise meand oh oh, ok try making sure cables plugged in with red stripe towards pin #1 both ends seated fully

Collapse -

DO NOT attempt to reboot your system with the bad drive.

Wait for your new drive to arrive and
fully installed to try this,

1. on new drive create a folder called "Bad Drive"
2. slave the bad drive to the new drive.
3. if the bad drive will spin up, copy/paste folders
"My Doucments and "Program Files" (location of most files) from bad drive to "Bad Drive" folder located on new drive.

The above proceedure has a 50-50 chance of working.
Do not attempt to locate the files you want. Do that after you have them on the new drive. The longer the bad drive has to spin the sooner failure will occur.

If it hasn't already.

Good Luck
Bill

Collapse -

Why shouldn't I attempt to boot it?

Collapse -

According to your post Dell claims that the H/D is failing. On boot attempt no H/D was found.

Provided that all connections are correct your drive is DEAD. On a slim chance that the drive will spin up for your data recovery I posted the proceedure I use.

This is a 50/50 chance of recovery. The more you attempt to use the bad H/D your data recovey decreases.

Bill

Comments anyone?

Collapse -

I agree, seeing that the drive is most likely in it's last moments of life, it is best to attempt to copy any needed data from this Drive.( You may only get one chance) Any time a hard drive starts to make noise, it is a sure sign of inevitable failure. Hint: Backup immediately!! There are different types of data storage media available to the public. Pick the one that is within your budget. Hard Drives are relatively inexpensive to replace nowadays as well.

Collapse -

I have a similar problem with HDD... it goes "tick, tick, tick" on booting, but does not boot. I had to replace the HDD (80 GB Western Digital, only 14 months old) and reload WIN XP pro... experts tell me all data is lost, no way to revive the original HDD. I am wondering if you found a solution to your problem... ????

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.