Computer Help forum

Question

HDD partitoning

I recently installed LinuxMint17. When partitioning HDD prior to install, the "partioner" stated it required 3.7Gb for /usr. After install and running "updates" got an error msg. indicating /usr needed more space. OK, not a problem, but just how much space does it need, or rather, what is sufficient space for /usr? PLEASE, explain your answer(i.e... why it needs x amount) [HP2000-210 LinuxMint17 80Gb HDD]
Thank You:
Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDD partitoning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDD partitoning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've yet to find any answer with an exact amount.

In reply to: HDD partitoning

Here I don't go with less than 10GB on /usr and last time it was 100's of GB because we were writing apps on Linux. There is no exact answer.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: I've yet to find any answer with an exact amount.

BOB:

Thanx for your input. 10Gb, huh!? Hmmm. It was using 3904.2 of 3971.2(Mb). If I doubled that it would only come to 7.6Gb? I'm not questioning your answer, but I'd like to know why I need so much in the /usr? In my post I did ask for an explanation. I have very few apps/add-ons and intend to do away with bluetooth. I try to keep 'extras" to a minimum. BTW, I tried to install MPlayer and even though it says "installed" I cannot find it anywhere. Could this be due to the /usr not having enough "space"?
Enjoy the Holiday:
Rick

Collapse -
It depends

In reply to: Reply

It depends on what you have stored on the /usr partition, but since most programs end up in either /usr/bin or /usr/X11/bin, everything you install will be on that partition. The 3.7GB was probably the minimum amount of space needed to install all the programs you selected.

As for MPlayer... Unless things have changed rather dramatically since I last used it, it's a command line program. There's no GUI for it, so you won't see it in a list of programs, but if you type in "mplayer" at the command line, you'll get some default text on how to use it.

Collapse -
As you can guess

Updates to the OS will take space. So let's take a 1GB update. We'll need 1GB for the files, 1GB possible for what's installed and 1 last GB to hold a rollback system. That's 3 times what some folk may allocate. There are folk new to this area that think that we can tally up the bytes but what if one person has a GPU with bigger drivers than the next? Any update will take more bytes on one or the other.
Bob

Collapse -
Partitioning

In reply to: As you can guess

69Rixter

Have you run df -h from a terminal to see your usage of the partition

I have mint 17 and my partition size is 13g usage is 4.5g unused is 7.4g or 38% of the total partition

My apps consist mostly of browser email and a number of smaller items

Collapse -
"As you can guess" reply

In reply to: As you can guess

Bob:

First of all, Thanks for replying. OK, your expanation was just what I was looking for, i.e. a simple, straightforward reply. Learn a little everyday. So, I can now see why 3.7Gb wasn't nearly enough "space". Hope you had a good holiday weekend!
Rick

Collapse -
It is installed

but to use it you need an interface like gnome-player or smplayer and you probably have one of those installed already also.

Digger

Collapse -
reply to "is it installed"

In reply to: It is installed

hey Digger:

Thanx for that last bit of info. Yes, I wondered about the smplayer (I believe I thought about the mplayer interface) when I saw those in the directory. You see...it's always somethin' LOL Hope you had a good holiday weekend!
THANX:
Rick

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!