General discussion

HDD isnt detected by system

i have sony vgn cr353. it has a fujitsu 250gb hdd.

few days back i noticed after 20min my system would hang up and its hardware would produce a strange sound. as soon as this sound would start up all the programs would become unresponsive and the system would eventually hang up.

i consulted someone on this and he told me my hdd had some bad sectors.
i ran the chkdsk utility it showed me none
when i rebooted my system it started checking c drive for errors. suddenly the procedure got stuck and there was no processing . i restarted the laptop after 20 minutes and the system didnt boot .. after 10-15minutes the screen displayed a message: "Operating system not found"
later when i checked bios setting it showed that no internal hard disk is there.
the hard disk makes a weird clicking sound

I want to know are these the symptoms of a crashed hdd?

I doubt if the man that i showed my laptop too wrecked it or has it happened on its own .

HELP !

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HDD isnt detected by system
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HDD isnt detected by system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Crashed? Not a sure sign.

It can however be a sign the HDD is heat sensitive IF the drive works after we leave it alone overnight.

The CLICKING SIGN is definitely the sound of a failed drive. But again not a signal it crashed. Sorry to slice this finely but a HDD crash is quite rare today.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re:

Okay .thank you Happy ... i have been very confused whether i should get it repaired or buy a new one.

- Collapse -
Are you talking of the drive or the laptop?

Drives are so cheap today compared to a laptop that I would roll the dice given a laptop with a clicking HDD. It's worth the 50 buck gamble.
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) Re:
- Collapse -
Laptop's hdd

i was talking abt the drive.
Well i got a new one . and ever since then the laptop has been giving me no trouble at all. Happy
but would try to get the old hdd repaired if that would be possible.
thanx for all your help dear Happy .

- Collapse -
Drive repair is very expensive.

DriveSavers.com doesn't repair the drive but gets the data off to a new drive. And even that is 600 plus dollars. To repair the drive would cost more than that!

This is why no one repairs the drives. They replace them.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info