HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

Question

Hdd failure?

by Braincrush / January 9, 2015 12:43 AM PST

Recently I used system restore because AdwCleaner deleted some registry keys and I got unmountable boot volume error. Windows didn't boot anymore.
After that my laptop still had a problem with f4 BSoD . I got it everytime I used a program, even windows updates or troubleshoot.
But today I wanted to check for a dmp file and post it on a forum. I didn't have a dmp file so I decided to let windows update run so I could get the error and with some luck a dmp file.
I saw windows update icon and I let it prepare. It took almost an hour and no error.
The icon told me there are updates so I opened it and saw 138 updates. I clicked install updates and after 10 mins the error appeared. But it was kernel data inpage. And I couldn't enter in safe mode either.
I closed it and after 4 hours I wanted to see if I can boot in windows again.
But no. I can't. Not even in safe mode.
But the error changed.
Now it s back to unmountable boot volume.
I want to ask what might be the problem.
It was so fine until I installed updates. I don't even think any update had time to be properly installed.
And why installing updates messed up my laptop so bad that I can't even boot in safe mode?
Could be hdd failure?
Is that hdd light that sometimes stop working. Even today at some point I thought my laptop was going to freeze because there was a noise coming from inside, then the hdd light didn't flicker (it was black) and I couldn't do anything. Not even moving the mouse.
After some seconds there was the noise again, hdd light started flickering again and all worked normal.
And also the light doesn't work when I reach to starting windows.
And after it stops working windows crashes.
But when I tried Startup Repair it worked. It was flickering but not regular.
There is a program hdd regenerator which is bootable. Is it good to check hdd?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hdd failure?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hdd failure?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You can read revies on that app (hdd regen)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2015 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Hdd failure?

But at the shop we just use the HDD maker's HDD TEST software or just swap in a drive for a test. New laptop drives are about 55 bucks for 500GB drives and with shop rates being over 100 we can't spend hours trying to rescue a cheap part.
Bob

Collapse -
hiren's
by Braincrush / January 9, 2015 9:26 PM PST

I tried to use hiren's boot cd to check hdd but it gives me an error: IDE not found
It doesn't find the hard drive.
And also it doesn't found external UDMA controller
That means I really have to change the hdd right?

Collapse -
Or you need a different HDD tester.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2015 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: hiren's

Remember that HDDs are cheaper than tech time so while we'll run the HDD test by the HDD's maker the awful truth is that we are dealing with a cheap part.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.