PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HDD disappears

by jancawa55 / February 17, 2005 8:58 PM PST

I have 2 120gb HDDs in my HP a250n, this had been working fine for several months. About one month ago the D: (non-system) disc disappeared for 2 or 3 days, then sort of came back from vacation. Last week the same drive took off again for 2 days, I opened the box and checked all the connections restarted and there it was back again. This AM it was gone again, restarted and is back.

I have the SMART thing that shows up on Belarc report which I ran last night and both HDD show their health as Healthy. This always seems to happen overnight with computer left on. I suppose the obvious solution is turn it off and sometimes do with no prob. Both drives work fine in a sort of binary fashion. If there it works, if not who knows? My 425 watt psu is 2 mos old. Could it be the wires to the HDD? the motherboard? or something with the HDD itself. I can put up with this or put that drive in the kids puter to see if it shows up, but the registry will be all messed up there and have to do without that I guess. This is far from the end of the world but I would like to get some suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDD disappears
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDD disappears
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: HDD Disappears
by xomegax1 / February 17, 2005 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: HDD disappears

The only time I have ever had this problem it was a power issue. A power supply tester that tests individual power feeds (you can find them on NewEgg.com for under $20) or a simple multimeter will tell you if you're getting the proper voltage. That being said, it could be the hard drive controller. Putting the drive into the kids computer to see if it would work would be a good idea to try and would not harm the registry. Any registry entries added would be removed when you took the drive back out. Check the power supply first and work from there.

Collapse -
Drive having issues?
by ParnaoidGuy / February 18, 2005 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: HDD disappears

Hello there,

Let me just ask afew questions.

You say the drive is missing. Does that when you go access it it is unavaiable? or the icon is literally gone.

I have had issue with discs similar, though not exactly like this before. I have never seen a system recognize a disk and then forget it is there. In fact I think it may be impossible in a normal context for that to happen. I say this because once , just for fun , I opened a machine that was running and dismantled a hard drive that was running in it right down to the spinning platters.

I saw some movie with a bomb on a plane that had exposed hard drive platters running on it for looks and didn't believe that that would work. (It actually does, for a few hours)

I beat and abused this disc, pulled jumpers, snipped the cable, made veiled threats against its family. I generally made it non functional.

But windows NT still thought it was there. Newer windows may react diffrently.

But I digress.

I had a new system a few monthas ago that was driving me crazy, until I replaced the cable. The cable worked most of the time.

Power supply may be an issue, as may be heat.

My personal comuter has three 120 GB drives and they were getting powerful hot. Uncomftorable to touch hot.
I didn't wait for them to have issues, I just went and got a few HD coolers. Basically heatsinks with fans in em. Now I don't feel uncomftorable when I touch my hard drives.

But in any case, Power supply or cable would be my guess. Check that all the jumpers and any socketed chips on both the drive and the controller. Make sure they are all firmly seated. You may have a thermal creep issue here.

Collapse -
thanks for the ideas
by jancawa55 / February 18, 2005 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: Drive having issues?

I did have a HDD failure with this same system while it was still in warranty, Aug 04, HP replaced what is now my main drive and it has worked fine since but the older one is the one I am having trouble with and the impetus for putting in the 425 watt psu I got from Tiger Direct. I am still using the same connector, flat gray strip that came with puter. I am leaning toward some of those rounded cables I have seen to increase airflow, but I am reluctant to stick fingers in while the power is on to test temp, and the only thermometer I have is rectal so not much help. Though it is an HP system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!