Desktops forum

Question

HDD and Dvd drive not detected

by kwajkid76 / June 11, 2012 11:28 AM PDT

I am putting together a computer. Have a new motherboard, LGA 1156 and intel core i3. Motherboard only has sata connection for the drives. My hd and dvd both have ide connections. I got me a couple of ide to sata adapters. There's small led that lights up on the adapter board, it light up on both drive for about a minute, then goes out. My motherboard setup menu does not see either drive. I don't here either drive working when I turn it on. I'm wondering if I should just break down and get a new sata hdd and dvd drive, or try and my these work. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDD and Dvd drive not detected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDD and Dvd drive not detected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I rarely see thos adapters work
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2012 12:01 PM PDT

But when they do I had to try all the IDE jumper combinations. GOOD LUCK!

Collapse -
Answer
Play with it
by Willy / June 11, 2012 11:42 PM PDT

This is far too early in the build to use adapters where they are so basic to the boot. The BIOS itself has no chance to acknowledge the devices because it sees something else(adapter) though it hasn't the means to accept as the bios based routines don't allow such or similar. Review your adapter manual/guide and follow its instructions. Overall, too much is being expected as this stage of the boot. Get at least a SATA HD if all else fails to work. Once you get true SATA HD to work, you should be able to use the adapter for the IDE HD to allow its later use. -OR- use the old IDE drive mounted in an ext. USB case. The below link may help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277121-32-boot-sata-adapter

What I have done using a SATA HD installed and then older ext. USB DVD drive(mounted in USB case) to boot-up and install the OS, etc. AIso, the jumpers on IDE devices need to follow their convention. The bios is setup to boot from USB. When it comes to adapters I tend to shy away from them as "primary boot" devices. These usually work well as secondary devices or 2nd HD, etc..

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
HDD
by ecigcharleston / June 19, 2012 2:57 AM PDT

Unplug power cord and check cable of HDD and Dvd Drive that it is well pluged
Reset BIOS

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?