Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

HD5 question

by swimfreak707 / July 11, 2005 10:46 AM PDT

Does the HD5 play files boughten from walmart downloads.com. If not is there a way to convert those files already purchased and saved in my computer to a file format that the Sony NW-HD5 will play? Also if I bought an HD5, would I be able to use it in the gym, for running activities? I have read that flash players are the only players that should be used in the gym, but what about the Sony? Also what player is better, the Sony NW-HD5 or the Cowon Iaudio X5. The fast that the sony can't do FM is a huge downer, and the video playback(while not perfect) is just icing on an already delicious cake. But what do you think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HD5 question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HD5 question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony Connect
by bozobrain / July 11, 2005 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: HD5 question

I think Sony's players can only play DRM-protected files from their Connect service. The HD5 can also play MP3 files (after wrapping in their OMG format, which doesn't change the quality of the files, just adds a layer of frustration for the users).

So, I suppose you could buy the files from Walmart's site, burn them to a CD (if that's allowed from Walmart's service) and then rip them in MP3 format or ATRAC (Sony's proprietary format). You would lose some quality when you went from Walmart's format (WMA?) to MP3 or Atrac.

Also, I think that jogging, etc., is not recommended with any HD player. I would imagine it wouldn't crap out immediately, but would probably shorten the life of the unit.

Sounds like you're sold on that other unit anyway.

Collapse -
hd5 question
by Splattered_Whim / July 12, 2005 4:51 PM PDT

I don't see why it wouldn't play them, unless the walmart files have some kind of copyright protection thing on them...(I've never used any of the file purchasing things)

You can take any existing files from your computer and import them into sonicstage without having to burn them on another cd pretty easily. There's a feature that will scan your harddrive for soundfiles and just import anything it finds.

Collapse -
the way it can work
by pikel / July 12, 2005 7:01 PM PDT

well very 1st:
i'm european, so i'm not familar with wal-mart (it isn't allowed to run a supermarket with the possibility to buy guns in my country :D) nor their music files, but ...
1) regardless of the format u need sonic-stage to put music into you hd-5
a) if u use atrac everything is fine
b) if u use mp3 the are "containered"
c) DRM-protected files (WMA) are encoded to atrac
d) same like c) to most of the other codecs with the exception of mpc, which are not supported at the moment

2) about gym
yes, it's true
flashplayers big advantage is the missing of mechanical devices the cost for it is: a far higher gb per dollar rate

3) comparing X5/HD-5
well i don't like sony's proprietary style, so if i must vote i would choose the X5!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.