TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HD TV with NON HD Home theater receiver

by trevshap / November 28, 2009 2:15 AM PST

I have a Sony STR-K750P Reciever that I was wanting to connect my surround sound with. This receiver doesn't have an HDMI input or output. My question is can I hook this reciever up somehow with the audio and still watch my TV in HD?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HD TV with NON HD Home theater receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HD TV with NON HD Home theater receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Receiver & HDTV
by Dan Filice / November 28, 2009 2:42 AM PST

Your receiver really has nothing to do with being able to watch HD on your TV. If a receiver has an HDMI connection, then you can connect everything into it and then into your TV, but this is more for convenience. For HD video on your TV, you can connect a cable or satellite box or a DVD player directly to the TV using separate inputs. Neither the cable box or DVD player need to connect to a receiver before the TV as both can connect directly to your TV using component or HDMI if equipped with it. If you want 5.1 audio, then these can connect to your receiver by either using the optical or analog audio connections.

Collapse -
Also
by givemeaname / November 28, 2009 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Receiver & HDTV

For HD you have to sign up for the HD package from your cable/sat provider and a Bluray play for the best HD quality, just run the HDMI stright to the tv and audio outs too the reciever. You can get a nice brand name BD player from $126-$150 (holiday sales) + they can stream movies from Amazon or Netflix depending on the brand you get, + otherthings over the net.

Collapse -
Another question
by trevshap / November 28, 2009 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Also

I have a DVR and I also have the HD package through my cable provider. I have my DVD player plugged directly into my tv through RCA connectors. Don't really care about getting a bluray yet. My DVR is plugged directly into my tv with an HDMI cable. I am wanting to use my old surround sound receiver just for the audio so I can have surround sound in my living room. Can I still use this with my HDMI cable still hooked up? If so then how would I do that? Thanks

Collapse -
Here's how, I think
by Dan Filice / November 28, 2009 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: Another question

I'm a little confused because you aren't giving us all the info we need to help, but two things based on what little info I have so far:

1) You can connect your DVR to the receiver via optical audio-out (if it has that connection), or simply take whatever audio-out connection it has (RCA left-right audio only?), then match that to the receiver's same audio-in connection. Then read your receiver's manual to figure out how to make surround for that connection.

2) For your DVD player, even though you have the RCA video connections to your TV, you didn't mention what audio-out it has. Does it have RCA audio-out only? If so, your receiver should allow you to get analog 2-channel Dolby simulated into surround. Read your manual. If the DVD player had optical audio-out, then plug that into your receiver if it has optical audio-in, then you automatically will get proper 5.1 surround.

Collapse -
Follow-Up Question
by mames2 / December 9, 2009 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Receiver & HDTV

Great info Dan. Do you mean connect to your receiver by either using the optical or analog audio connections from the TV audio out?

Collapse -
Re: Follow-up Question
by Dan Filice / December 9, 2009 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Follow-Up Question

One can certainly take the TV audio-out and connect it to a receiver. But, if you are using a satellite or cable box, why not simply take the audio-out from that box and connect to the receiver? If you are not using a set-top box and your TV is simply connected to a coax or a roof-top antenna for reception, then you can take the TV's audio-out and connet that to the receiver. Keep in mind that connecting your TV to the receiver for audio will basically give you 2-channel audio, so the best you can expect is a simulated surround effect using the receiver's Dolby Digital processing. Many stations broadcast now in 5.1, but I think you would need to utilize the audio-out from a set-top box to get that. If you use a roof-top antenna for local HD channels, you can get the 5.1, but I'm just not sure how to get that into your receiver.

Collapse -
Another Question
by mames2 / December 9, 2009 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Follow-up Question

Thanks. I will soon change my satellite receiver over to HD DVR. If I understand, I will go from it directly to the HDTV with HDMI for the video. And, I will soon upgrade my DVD player to Blu Ray and will do the same thing--go from the blu ray player direct to the HDTV via HDMI, correct? Since my stereo/home theater receiver does not have HDMI, but does have a section on the back titled "Digital" and then the word "Optical" under that and has what I think are several toslink inputs and one coaxial input, I will connect the satellite audio out to one of those digital inputs. And, the same for the blu ray. Is that correct?

Collapse -
PC to TV via Reciever
by teddyshah / December 20, 2009 1:45 PM PST
In reply to: Another Question

I was searching the internet when I came across this forum and nearly got a response to the question I am struggling with.

I have a TV (HDMI capable) which I want to use to stream Internet to my LCD TV (also HDMI capable) but want to use my HDMI Receiver so that I can use the surround sound speakers.

Q. Is it simply a matter of convenience or can I connect my PC to Reciever to TV with a HDMI connection for each?

How does a reciever distinguish the video comoing from a PC?

THANKS in advance for your help.

Collapse -
Move this to your own separate thread (n/t)
by Pepe7 / December 21, 2009 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: PC to TV via Reciever

n/t

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.