Question

HD TV tivo-like-features using Comcast cable cards Windows 7

We've gone through about 6 DirecTV and Comcast Tivo
SD boxes in as many years, the boxes slowly degrade with freezes, etc.
At least with Comcast, the box is rented and they have to replace them.

We're
ready to upgrade (finally) to an HD monitor, and might as well consider
building our own Windows-7 based DVR - i'm okay to rent the comcast
cable card inserts for a Ceton or other tuner card for the PC.

My understanding is that it should be possible to get the opensource
equivalent of Tivo including Netflix and internet TV/movies (WMC &
Netflix). And
then all i'd need is an HDMI monitor and audio, and could get
additional features like additional monitors in other rooms to play the
same DVR repository (with additional video cards).There's no use in
getting a TV tuner card as i understand it, because our comcast is
digital, and we cannot get anything over the air since stations went
digital (signal disappeared due to distance). With DIY, i can upgrade
an individual component as needed.

I must be searching ineffectively, i can only find years-old discussions of this subject.

Does anyone have suggestions? I've very comfortable building PCs from bare components.

Or is the answer: don't get involved because it will be one headache after another.thanks[please let's not get into a discussion about knocking Comcast, they're all we have for good or bad...]

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HD TV tivo-like-features using Comcast cable cards Windows 7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HD TV tivo-like-features using Comcast cable cards Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Are they issuing cable cards today?
- Collapse -
I believe both are nearly dead, but YMMV by area

As I understand it, the Comcast/Tivo combo as it stands is nearly dead in the water with no future plans to universally roll out Tivo branded Comcast DVRs. I believe Comcast instead will be supplying some VOD content on new Tivo boxes. Article for reference-
http://washington-dc-satellite-tv.com/comcast-scraps-tivo-set-top-deal-but-will-open-vod-tap/

To the OP> More on Comcast issued CableCARDs if your area still supports it-
http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQListViewer.aspx?topic=Cable&folder=1d57bd4f-4607-409c-b5dd-95f2d79475cc&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

This truly isn't the best place to search for the most up to date info on a cable provider per se. Another place for info-
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/TV-Service-and-Equipment/Cablecard-Ceton-Not-Working/td-p/929553

I also recommend dslreports.com, and satelliteguys.us

- Collapse -
Answer
Jump into this thread

CNET Forums