PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HD tuner card that can record in HD From a HD Cable box?

I recently bought a Hauppauge 1178 WinTV-HVR-1600
( [L=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGGTY8]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGGTY8[/L] )

and opened it to then find out it only supports HD from over the Air broadcasts (ATSC.)

I'm looking for a TV tuner that can watch and record in HD from my comcast cable Box.
I have HD comcast cable box, and I want to be able to watch and record from that source on my computer, As I do not have a HD TV, and my computer is all I have that is capable of playing HD. (1900*1200 res)

Are there any TV tuner cards that I can put in my pc that will let me do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HD tuner card that can record in HD From a HD Cable box?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HD tuner card that can record in HD From a HD Cable box?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No such animal. . .

In reply to: HD tuner card that can record in HD From a HD Cable box?

Collapse -
You can ussually record what is on TV

In reply to: No such animal. . .

eh, you can record normal cable TV, and burn a DVD of a movie on TV if you want....

It's being broadcast on TV...

Are you saying that with HDTV, companies are not allowing people to record HDTV shows?

Collapse -
Yes you can. . .

In reply to: You can ussually record what is on TV

but it's of lower quality. But recording the digital signal and burning that signal would rival a DVD quality movie. That could be construed as piracy.

HDTV can be recorded on a DVR or such. But the encryption is limited to the recorder. Recording HDTV to a computer is highly discouraged.

Look around if you like. I have. There are many video cards with HDMI and/or DVI OUTPUT. HDMI or DVI INPUT are nonexistent. If you find one, email me.

Collapse -
what revision hvr1600 do you have?

In reply to: HD tuner card that can record in HD From a HD Cable box?

the hvr1600 has a QAM tuner which will let you see/record the non-encrypted (in-the-clear) HD channels on your cable system. it must be connected to your cable (not the cable box) and it won't record premium channels. call comcast to determine if your cable system has clear QAM HD channels.

Collapse -
While I have not seen a card

In reply to: HD tuner card that can record in HD From a HD Cable box?

You might be interested in a similar topic here:
If you look for the STB you have, then you can research the method. Watching live HD does not seem to be as much of a problem as recording it.
The Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 is also supposedly capable of recording component outputs but is not a card.

Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.