TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

hd dvd or blue ray

by compy / November 18, 2006 10:57 PM PST

I am investigating my next purchase of a tv, and looking at a sony lcd, KDL-40W2000.
Looking to the future, and should it be HD DVD or Blueray, will the sony work with both formats? is it future proof?
Thanks in advance for any comments.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hd dvd or blue ray
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hd dvd or blue ray
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
COMPY ITS LIKE BETA AND V.H.S. WHO KNOWS
by stewart norrie / November 19, 2006 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: hd dvd or blue ray

I just pre ordered a Sony blue-ray player only because I hope it will be the winner and at 68 years old I dont have time for the chips to fly ha ha, I have spent the last 8 years bulding my system and I want the last toy before I croke. As far as picture quality goes I dont think there is going to be any difference but because I have a 72" beast the Sony may look a tad better on a large screen size steweeee

Collapse -
What???
by Coryphaeus / November 19, 2006 9:37 AM PST

You paid a grand when you could buy the PS3 for half that? Stew, Stew, Stew!!! Get the PS3 and don't buy games, you'll be half a grand ahead!! But think of the games you could buy for 500 bucks.

Wink

Collapse -
Did you ever get it?????
by jcrobso / November 20, 2006 12:20 AM PST

Amazon has them for about $800. John

Collapse -
TOO TOUGH TO CALL..........
by Riverledge / November 19, 2006 7:21 AM PST

WAIT IT OUT A BIT, this could take years.

river.

Collapse -
NEVER SEEN A SONY KDL-40W2000..........
by Riverledge / November 20, 2006 5:02 AM PST

IS IT A NEW MODEL or older?

river.

Collapse -
The HD-DVD and B-Ray wars have just started!!!
by jcrobso / November 20, 2006 12:18 AM PST

No one knows how the chips will fall, I'm ignoring both for a long time.
At this time make sure that any HDTV set you buy has HDMI 1.3 spec. John

Collapse -
Wait until dual format players get here
by Dan Filice / November 20, 2006 12:48 AM PST

Why not wait several months because the dual-format DVD players will be here soon. Then you won't get stuck with a single format player. This is what should have been done right from the start.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.