PC Hardware forum

Question

HD Docking station

by skippydoodle2 / November 20, 2013 6:28 AM PST

I bought a HD docking station for eSATA HD's...is there an adapter to,these docks for IDE SATA HD's??? or do I need a separate dock for those?? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HD Docking station
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HD Docking station
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
IDE and SATA are mutually exclusive
by wpgwpg / November 20, 2013 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: HD Docking station

So I don't know what you mean by "IDE SATA". When you buy a docking station, it either has an IDE interface or a SATA interface. You have to buy the one that matches the hard drive you're going to put into it. You also have to be aware that some take only 5.25" drives and some take only 3.5" drives.

Collapse -
Clarification on HD types..
by skippydoodle2 / November 21, 2013 10:36 AM PST

Sorry...I meant IDE and SATA interface...my dock will fit both 2.5 and 5.25 HD's...

Collapse -
Correction on reply...
by skippydoodle2 / November 21, 2013 10:42 AM PST

Sorry again..my dock fits 2.5 and 3.5 HDD's...not 5.25

Collapse -
Even so. There is no such thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Correction on reply...

You can find one or the other but so far the only item I've found with both is the cable I noted. Why must it be a "dock"?
Bob

Collapse -
HD Docks
by skippydoodle2 / November 21, 2013 10:57 PM PST

You're right it didn't have to be a docking station...I just didn't know what was available !

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
One thing is unlike the other but here's a cable I like.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 6:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Devices
by Willy / November 21, 2013 1:24 AM PST

Google is your friend -OR- any other search engine, they can find what you need or buy from a trusted online source. If you don't find one that encompasses it all then get the device that needs only the "adapter" sort of bongle which maybe what you want. Some docking station offer both 2.5 and 3.5 in. ports but of course you pay for options as the
desire for everything maybe a good option if it fits your needs. If you plan to use on a laptop, I strongly suggest you get an AC powered device rather than total USB only which can be PITA to the laptop over time, just be aware of that.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
docking station
by jaysilencer / December 22, 2013 3:46 PM PST

Have you installed docking station drive correctly?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!