HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

HD Camera World Scam

by vcorban / September 18, 2008 6:35 AM PDT

I went online to order a camera today from a place called HD Camera World. They had a great deal on a kodak Z1275. I ordered two of them at $99 plus S&H which came to about another $20.

But the catch is, you have to call and confirm the order verbally once you receive an email confirmation of their receipt of the order.

Once you are on the line with a salesman he starts pressuring you to buy things like a 3 year warrantee which is $149! This is more by far than the price of the camera; I would be paying for it more than twice simply for the security of being able to send it somewhere for replacement (if that were even carried out without problems!) When he found I was not going to go for it he kept dropping the price until I finally agreed to put it on ONE camera (I distinctly told him ONE).

He then gave me a final price quote which seemed quite high, so I had him itemize it. On it were warantees for two cameras.

Then there was also special insurance of somewhere about $20 more dollars. When I asked about that he told me that to be covered for damage to cameras I HAD to carry the insurance. I asked who the shipping service was, and when he told me it was UPS I questioned what he told me as he said loss of the package is covered but not damage to the cameras.

Since I had shipped via UPS in the past and had to wade through their procedures I was sure this was not the case. So I called UPS and was told that damaged items would be covered up to the first $100 anyway, and that additional insurance for the extra $100 would only be under a few dollars.

He then asked me what I wanted to do and I said,"I wanted to buy the two cameras at the originally stated price along with the ground shipping costs; nothing more."

At this point he essentially ended the transaction by asking if I wanted to cancel the order. I said "Yes," and we hung up.

Moments later I decided to see if I could talk with someone else in the company and tried to call back. Since that last conversation my number appears to be blocked and I keep getting a message saying, "Your call is not allowed. PUANY."

I sent a complaint to the company through their email and said in it that I would be telling people about their company, so here I am!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HD Camera World Scam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HD Camera World Scam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HD Camera World
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: HD Camera World Scam

This website has been rated by resellerratings.com
On a scale of 1 to 10 .... it is rated less than one.

Link to resellerratings.com

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/HDCameraWorld#reviews

HD Camera World is another "bait and switch" merchant.
Most likely it is located in Brooklyn, NY.
Brooklyn is a hotbed of such activity.
No where on their website do they identify their physical location.
They do not want you to know where they are located.

If you gave them your credit card number, you may want to call your credit card company and have them cancel that card and give you a new card/number.

Collapse -
Too good to be true
by Xtion / September 20, 2008 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: HD Camera World

Here's this website physical address. I looked up this address on google maps, street view and I cannot find a business building with this companys name on it.

"Byer Beware"

Website Identity Confirmed at 9/20/2008 10:35:01 AM

Company: HDCameraWorld.com
Address: 1151 McDOnald Ave
Brooklyn, New York 11230
US
Telephone: 877-203-1065
Email: info@HDCameraWorld.com

www.HDCameraWorld.com has been validated to have a secure SSL certificate which provides industry standard data encryption of information transferred from your computer to the website.

Collapse -
HD Camera World
by mbkarim51 / October 21, 2008 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: HD Camera World

I truly appreciate the feedback on HD CAmera World. I, too, saw a deal on a camera that was $60 cheaper than all other retailers on-line for an olympus camera. When I called the phone numbers on the website, no one was ever there. I then found this site and will not buy from them. If it seems too good to be true.......

Collapse -
HDcameraWorld scam
by iraq54 / September 22, 2008 2:27 AM PDT

Thanks? for your review about HDcamerWorld.com. I was about to purchase a camera from them because they have a very good price.
Other merchants have the camera priced around $240-$270 except for HDcamera which they listed for $149 + ship.
It was good to be true. I Google around and I found your experience with them. I?ll stay away from this company. Thinks for the advice

Collapse -
HD Camera World Are robbers
by zerobs / September 23, 2008 11:54 AM PDT

I got the same bait and switch. I ordered a Panasonic TZ5 because they were the lowest priced & the order was processed. I get the "call us to verify the order" email. When I called they tried ta sell me an "extended life battery" because the 1 that came with it only lasted 15 minutes! I had read the reviews & knew that was BS.I asked some more questions & learned that this was the Japanese version of the camera and all the in camera words & settings were in Japanese...That is what they would have sent me if I hadn't pried the truth out of them....These guys r not the BOTTOM OF THE BARREL...They r what is under the bottom of the barrel when u lift it up.

Collapse -
HDcamera world Scam
by Joe&Shelley / September 26, 2008 12:46 AM PDT

Was told I would receive my camera within 3 business days , nothing , Their web page is not loading !
I was able to contact them by phone , canceled my order , asked about their web page , said they did not know it was down , gave me a cancelation # said they would send me verification it was canceled by email , we will see ! They yanked my chain for over 2 months , vacation time for me is here , will go to Circuit City tonight and pay a lot more but will have a camera !!!!!!

Collapse -
Stay Away From HD Camera World
by catsmeowks / November 3, 2008 10:30 AM PST

I purchased a camera online from HD Camera World. I received an e-mail that I had to call to confirm my order. While I was confirming the man asked if I wanted to buy a battery for my camera??? I have purchased several cameras & never thought a battery would be separate. He said the battery only lasted 10 minutes, I thought that was strange for a brand new Canon Camera. I denied that & confirmed the order. After I got off the phone I decided to check on HD Camera World on line & typed in their name & was horrified when I saw all the problems people have had. I immediately cancelled my order & called my credit card. Hopefully I will not see any charges, But I'm shocked to see they are still allowed to run an internet business with so many complaints against them.

Collapse -
I was shopping around..
by vvs1princess / November 9, 2008 6:15 AM PST

I came across this website www.ontimedigital.com. I knew what I was looking for and I was amazed at the prices. I was looking at a COOLPIX P80 NIKON digital camera retails approx. $350.00. The price at ontimedigital was 189.00... too good to be true. I was sooo tempted to whip out my credit card and purchase this camera. But something didn't feel right they didn't list what comes with the purchases.I called them no answer, so I decided to email them when I submit my email it says thanks for submitted your inquiring through HD Camera World... I searched online to see if this company is legitamate.there were no results for them. I did come across this form and found this out. Im glad I shopped around first. Thanks!

Collapse -
Alias
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 9, 2008 7:10 AM PST

These bait and switch operations use several aliases.

Some have over ten alternate names.

When one name gets too much bad press, they just open a new website with a new name.

"If it sounds too good to be true ..... it is!"

Collapse -
Do not trust ontimedigital.com
by hjbrandon / November 24, 2008 1:48 AM PST

I also saw a price that was too good to be true from ontimedigital.com. Over $150 below the nearest price for a Canon HV30 camcorder. I called onto their customer service line to check out the product number and check their inventory before I ordered. When I called, their wait line line was very long. My call was re-routed over 3 times as I keep asking to check the inventory and product details on a Canon HV30 camcorder. When I finally was connected with someone who would take my question, I was disconnected as soon as I asked the question "What comes with this product if I order it." Specifically, I wanted to know about the stuff that comes in the box of a brand new product. I was disconnected 3 consecutive times before I started searching for more credentials for ontimedigital.com. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THESE PEOPLE. THEY ARE TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF. YOU SHOULD NEVER GIVE MONEY TO ANYONE THAT ISN'T MORE THAN WILLING TO EXPLAIN EVERY SINGLE QUESTION THAT A CUSTOMER HAS BEFORE PURCHASE.

Collapse -
OnTime Digital: No Good At All!
by WWJP / March 18, 2009 10:16 AM PDT

I wish I had done some research before I clicked "buy" on their site. I ordered a camera, and when I hadn't heard anything back, I did some checking around. I found all the bad news all over the internet.

They did the same thing with me. Told me that I had to buy a battery for my camera or it would not work. After I refused to do that, they wanted me to get a warranty. I told them it was too expensive. They just promptly hung up on me and then cancelled my order. Waste of time, however I didn't lose any money.

I never could find where they were located, even asked, he said he didn't have to to tell me.

I'll Tell you now:

OnTime Digital <----what a name for them, huh>?
1585 Mcdonald Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11230-5512

(718) 998-9320 Direct Dial phone number.

Buy from someone you know.

Collapse -
OnTimeDigital is huge SCAM
by hetaljoshi / December 1, 2008 10:52 AM PST

I bought a Garmin 880 from their website.. which was for $416 atleast 200$ less than what is available anywhere else.. I got an email asking me to call them back to confirm the order.. The guy was like.. do you want a warranty? I was like I have a couple of questions and he says.. sorry I will have to cancel your order.. I asked what year maps does it have 2009? and he said it doesnt come with any maps.. I was shocked and then he asked me if I would buy it in $699.. I said I need it in the price I bought it for and then he wanted to give it in $600. I told him he couldnt change the price on me.. and his answer was - "I can do anything dude..".. and hung up..

I called again was transferred to him again and he said the product you ordered is not in stock.. then he was like if you want to pay 700$ we can ship it to you with 2009 maps.. and when I said they should honor the price they sold on their website.. the guy made an obscene comment.. I said I would have to report this to consumer court and his answer was "Wooooo I am scared.. Bye" .. and he hung up..

I had my wife call as a new customer.. they kept transferring her 3 times and then hung up.. and tried calling again and it quickly changed the message to our office is currently closed..

Its a huge SCAM.. PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ONTIMEDIGITAL.COM

Collapse -
HD Camera World is a SCAM!!!
by jobo75 / December 12, 2008 12:40 AM PST

I ordered a Canon G9 on December 9, 2008.

The price listed was $269.99. The item on HDCameraWrold.com's website AND my invoice reads:
"Canon PowerShot G9 12.1MP Digital Camera with 6x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom".

Shortly after I placed my order, I received an email:
"Thank you for your order. Your order number is 14750, placed 12/9/2008 at 11:59AM.
Please Call 877-203-1065 to confirm your order."

When I call the toll-free number, I was placed on hold, transferred and the told that this camera is no longer available and that I would have to buy a "US version" for $569 if I wanted the camera. I asked them why the camera was still on sale for $269.99 on their website. The person on the phone said "our technician" must not have deleted the item yet. No where in the item listing does it state this is an imported version. I asked the sales rep why he was trying to "bait and switch" me and he said he was not. I told him I was going to report him to the BBB and he hung up on me.

I am changing my credit card number (I placed my order on line and thought this was a legit shop). Stay away and beware!!!!!!!

Collapse -
DO NOT BUY FROM ON TIME DIGITAL . COM
by don krist / December 18, 2008 11:13 AM PST

Tried to purchase an Olympus SP 565 UZ from their web site. Price listed at $219.00. I bought it and was given an order number. I was told to call back to confirm my order and that's when they tried to sell me a warranty, batteries for $150.00 a memory card etc. When I said no they told me the camera was dis-continued, cancelled my order and hung up on me. DON'T BUY FROM THEM YOU WILL GET ANGRY, DISAPPOINTED ETC.

Collapse -
On Time Digital
by johnb56 / December 23, 2008 1:39 AM PST

I bought an Olympus camera for $70 less than I found it anywhere else. I paid for 2 day shipping to get it before Christmas. I got the e-mail telling me to call and confirm the order. I called many times for many days before I got through to someone. Now it was too late to get delivery before Christmas. They asked if I wanted the camera and when I said yes they asked if I wanted the battery. I asked if they were regular batteries they said no they were lithium. I said no, thinking I could buy them locally and the guy said "How are you going to turn it on?" I asked how much the battery was and was told they cost $69.99. What do you know, there is the $70 less I told you about. They said they were selling just the camera not the battery.I cancelled the order, told them what I thought of them and hung up. I am calling my credit card company to get a new card #. Do not trust this company!!!

Collapse -
ontimedigital.com - the worst EVER
by b_over / April 8, 2009 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: On Time Digital

I ordered a Panasonic digital camera from them. I also got the usual upsell for a warranty. THEN the sales agent informs me that this camera comes with a "trial battery". It will cost another $85 for a real battery. "This is the online version of this camera."

I said I had never heard of that and that I wanted to cancel my order. While I was replying to his counter offers he told me to "Shut Up". When he realized I knew what I was talking about he told me: "Your order is cancelled you f***ing sh*t!"

Enough said.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.