General discussion

HD Camcorders for Mac?

I'm looking to get a new camcorder. The camcorder must be full HD quality, a decent optical zoom, under $600, and must be compatible with a Mac- especially Final Cut Pro and iMovie. This HD camcorder will be a temp fix for my filming until I get a professional HD camcorder. Please let me know which brands/actual camcorders work for me listing pros and cons and where I could purchase them. Much appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HD Camcorders for Mac?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HD Camcorders for Mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Pretty much any of them - assuming

your Mac has the CPU speed, RAM and available hard drive space...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290

The Canon HF series and Sony HDR-CX series are worth a look. Their AVCHD/MTS files are very different from the pro-grade HDV, DVCPRO HD, HDCAM, XDCAM and h.264 MOV files of the Sony HVR series, Panasonic P2HD series, Canon XH and XLH series, and JVC GY series camcorders. Most of these also require your Mac to have a firewire port for importing.

- Collapse -
well....

What's your opinion between the Panasonic HDC-SD60K and the Canon HF R100?

I have narrowed it down between the 2 and can't decide.

- Collapse -
and...

and between those 2 above and the canon vixia HF r10?

- Collapse -
panasonic

the panasonic no question about it

CNET Forums

Forum Info