Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Cameras forum

General discussion

HD camcorder with old computer??

by diane783 / November 27, 2009 12:44 PM PST

I am thinking of getting a Cannon Vixia camcorder and recording in HD even though I do not have a HDTV. I want to have the better quality for someday when I want to watch these videos of my kids. My current computer is a Pentium 4, 2.53 ghz, and runs on Windows XP. Will I at least be able to move the data to a hard drive, edit little clips out in lower quality, and see the raw footage on my existing computer or will I be needing an upgrade to even use the camcorder?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
you should have no problem
by jonah jones / November 27, 2009 12:54 PM PST

the way i see it, the PC is purely 'storage' and will show your HD
movie at the highest quality possible (to the limit of your video
card and monitor)

one 'snag' may be storage space, video clips are "quite large" so
be prepared to invest in an external HD

hope this helps

jonah

Collapse -
HD camcorder with old computer??
by diane783 / November 27, 2009 9:42 PM PST

I do have an external hard drive and plan for another one. I got confused looking at the formats current camcorders use: MPEG-4 and AVCHD. I think (please correct me if I am wrong and do NOT quote this newbie as a source of info) that I figured out that AVCHD is a better format to record in as it takes up less space for the best quality. Currently my computer won't play MPEG-4 videos so I can't believe it would play AVCHD. I want to be able to record low quality clips to send over the internet to family, but I want the good quality to save for when I am old and gray (sitting in front of my big screen tv in my older years).

Collapse -
won't play MPEG-4 videos?
by jonah jones / November 27, 2009 10:41 PM PST

are we talking "old" as in steam powered?

have you tried an alternative media player?

VLC is excellent
as is
Media Player Classic

between them, i have yet to see a media file they wont play

hope this hepls

jonah

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!