Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hawaii to be 1st state with electric car stations

by critic411 / December 2, 2008 9:52 PM PST
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081203/ap_on_bi_ge/electric_car_stations

?Hawaii has unveiled plans to be first in the nation to roll out electric car stations statewide ? a move the governor hailed as a major step toward weaning the islands off oil.
Hawaii imports foreign oil for almost 90 percent of its energy needs. One-third of that oil is used to power cars and buses on island streets.

Gov. Linda Lingle said Tuesday the program would help Hawaii meet its goal of slashing fossil fuel use 70 percent by 2030.
"This is the preferred future," Lingle said at a press conference. "Today is a part of the execution of our energy independence, and our getting off the addiction to oil."

Better Place, a Palo Alto, Calif.-based company, will build the car recharging stations and provide recharged batteries for electric cars.
The company will purchase renewable energy ? such as wind power ? from Hawaiian Electric Co., the state's largest utility.

Better Place plans to have the stations open for the mass market by 2011. It expects to build between 50,000 to 100,000 charge spots ? in parking lots, downtown streets, and neighborhoods ? across the state by early 2012.?

?Lingle said the state doesn't expect to spend any money to facilitate the network. However, she said the state may need to offer tax breaks or other incentives to encourage people to buy electric vehicles when they are first offered.?( I suspect the state will be paying more then they expect. )

This was almost a perfect story except they had to toss in:
?Hawaii also has abundant renewable energy resources, including wind, solar, geothermal and wave power. This is important because Better Place won't use oil, and aims to have a "zero carbon footprint."
It?s completely foolish to think they could have a ?zero carbon footprint? and even sillier to think it matters.

But, this project sounds perfect for a small, isolated and remote area.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hawaii to be 1st state with electric car stations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hawaii to be 1st state with electric car stations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Makes sense
by Willy / December 2, 2008 11:46 PM PST

It seems logical and basically practical that Hawaii be the one. Afterall, not that many miles to putt around in though a "recycle station" should be close by and it seems be found in urban areas once parked for going to work or shopping. To say, no cost to Hawaii, seems out of touch with all govt. practices as that will surely change. Since, everything is already expensive in Hawaii, anyone buying into a new elect. car and getting into the 0 carbon footprint practice would be held victim if Hawaii doesn't complete all stations in a timely period. As for 0 carbon footprint, you think that isn't befuddled by the volcanoes spewing out this and that plus added demand to the elect. grid. I hope the alternative power sources get used well. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I got to wondering...
by J. Vega / December 3, 2008 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Makes sense

I got to wondering just how much of the company's power is produced by renewable resources, to get an idea of how far they would have to go to achieve their new goal. The company is called HEI or sometimes referred to as HEICO (stock ticker HE).
Going to their web site and looking on at their "how we're doing" I found the statement:
"In 2007, the Hawaiian Electric companies achieved a consolidated Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) of 16.1 percent, an increase from the 13.8 percent level achieved in 2006 and 11 percent achieved in 2005. This means that 16 percent of Hawaiian Electric, Maui Electric and Hawaii Electric Light companies? sales came from renewable energy (including solar water heating) and quantifiable energy efficiency. This increase is primarily the result of two new wind farms, Hawi Renewable Development on Hawaii Island and Kaheawa Wind Power on Maui, and additional demand-side management projects implemented in 2006 and 2007."
I think that means that as of 2007, 16.1 percent of their power is produced by renewable means. If that is right, it would seem to mean that they've got a long way to go.

Collapse -
Yep, to produce any quanity of electricity
by Steven Haninger / December 3, 2008 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: I got to wondering...

you've got to burn something...or someone has to. I suppose they could canopy their beaches with solar panels or maybe drop a long heavy gauge extension cord to the mainland. Happy

Collapse -
Seen and heard about those
by Steven Haninger / December 3, 2008 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: Surf's up!

Monstrous to build and full of potential maintenance problems. I believe one very real concern is that stealing from ocean currents interrupts the distribution of vital nutrients to sea life in the area of these installations. Whether or not we'd see or feel the effects....who knows. There's no running out of things to worry about.

Collapse -
Each of the proposals has local problems.
by drpruner / December 3, 2008 1:16 PM PST

There are many waterfalls on the "scenic" islands, but they have little of the population, and any turbine plant would be an eyesore.
The wind is less reliable than elsewhere because the land isn't flat, like Texas et al.
The "thermal" is mainly volcanic- how do they bell the cat? (Yellowstone and California thermals are easier to tap.)
Sunshine is a good bet, but even there the percent of clear days is less than NM, for instance, so the amortization would be longer.

Anything is better than nothing, though.

Speaking of Hawaii: Sunday is the anniversary of my marriage to my Japanese-Hawaiian wife. That's Sunday ... December 7th ... a date which will live ... Happy

Collapse -
Did you pick the date of the wedding
by JP Bill / December 3, 2008 1:38 PM PST

thinking ahead, that you would have lots of reminders of the date?

a date which will live.......in infamy? (for 2 different reasons?) Devil

Collapse -
Nope. It just worked for my weird work schedule.
by drpruner / December 3, 2008 2:12 PM PST

I went from the wedding to work, in fact.

Collapse -
Would need a big surfboard to pull the cord.
by drpruner / December 3, 2008 1:09 PM PST

Where's Duke Kahanamoku when we need him?

Collapse -
Volcanoes are beneficial- in the long run, and
by drpruner / December 3, 2008 1:07 PM PST
In reply to: Makes sense

earthwide. NOT so good for homeowners downstream from Kilauea, though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.