Computer Help forum

General discussion

Having startup problems

by bloodblade2109 / March 18, 2005 6:55 AM PST

I recently reformatted my whole computer. It reformatted fine, but when it went to restart it so I could get into windows, it said "Non-System disk or disk error, please replace and strike any key when ready." Now it usually does that for floppy disks, but I dont have one in there. I suspect it to be a hard drive burnt out or something like that. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having startup problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having startup problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 18, 2005 8:17 AM PST

transfer the system files? Install an OS?

Collapse -
by bloodblade2109 / March 18, 2005 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: Did you. . .

I installed windows xp home
i dont know what you mean by transfer system files, but I used the restore disk that compaq gave me.

Collapse -
Blade, I Think You're Right...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2005 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: ...

If you continue to get the "Non-system disk" error, and you've removed all floppies or CD's, then you probably have a toasted hard drive. You should probably open the case and check all hard drive cables to be sure they're connected correctly. Then I would see if the OS would reinstall again...but I suspect that won't help..

You'll probably need a new HD.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
We got a new hard drive
by bloodblade2109 / March 23, 2005 1:41 AM PST

Well we got a new 200gb western digital hard drive, and after reinstalling windows it still gave me the non-system disk error...
We also tried disabling the A: drive and running it but the same thing happened. So I don't know what to do.

Collapse -
200GB DRIVE ISSUES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2005 1:52 AM PST
http://48bitlba.com details items so I won't repeat here.

The number 1 issue I run into wtih 200GB drives are people who partition and format BEFORE they install either Windows 2000 or XP. This is an incorrect method and could have been avoided if their XP CD was one with SP2 or they just used XP's installer to partition and format.

Bob
Collapse -
Why don't you save some time by...
by Edward ODaniel / March 23, 2005 1:55 AM PST

presenting the WHOLE STORY which would include the model of Compaq.

Exactly how you went about installing XP Home and so forth.

The message you report is the message one gets if a hard drive cannot be accessed.

One will get this message for instance if one "installs" an operating system to a SATA or SCSI hard drive but has missed the step of installing the appropriate interface drivers.

I do not think anything was wrong with the first drive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!