Laptops forum

General discussion

Having problems with my Brand new HP DV5T Laptop

by explosion81 / September 20, 2008 2:01 PM PDT

Hey there, I have had my dv5t for maybe a week now, after recieving the one before one which I had to return because it came with a horribly scratched screen. This one I thought would be top notch since I went through about 10 hours on the phone explaining simple things to 12 different support reps, who almost drove me insane. Anyways, the first thing that has been going wrong, is that the cd/dvd drive keeps opening by itself, sometimes up to 10 or more times a day. I contacted hp in which they told me to reinstall the driver, I have not done that yet because I am busy with moving, but I will in the coming days. Any thoughts on that part? The second thing just happened earlier today. I went to log on, and a message came up saying that 'my systems resources are too low and to log on to an existing account'' Something along those lines anyways. An existing account? My account already exists! So the first time this happened, the computer would'nt really let me do anything, so I pressed my off button, and restarted it, everything was fine. Later on tonight, It did the same thing...I went to log on, the same message appeared, I went to turn off to restart, and then........nothing. All the quickplay lights were on, no screen, would'nt turn on or off. I finally had to take the battery out, now Im back to a working computer. I have a feeling this one is a lemon. Can anyone help me out? I will go to any resort before talking to hp customer service or technical support again. If anyone needs some specs for the question, I have vista 64, centrino 2 p8600, 3g's, lightscribe supermulti. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having problems with my Brand new HP DV5T Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having problems with my Brand new HP DV5T Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
L/T issues
by Phil Crase / September 20, 2008 10:03 PM PDT

Well if you can't take this one back and you are feeling a bit more confident I would recommend making your back up disks and reloading the system. In programs you will find PC HELP AND TOOLS. From there you can (and should) make your OS disks, it takes 3 DVD'S or 2 dual layer DVD'S. You can only do this once and this will give you the operating system disks which will take everything back to the original default state (we hope). Once you have made the disks, assuming you can keep things running long enough to do so, reload the system, starting with disk number one and so on. Frankly, since it is a brand new system and if you have the option I would go for replacement. Best of luck!

Collapse -
hey
by explosion81 / September 21, 2008 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: L/T issues

Yeah I did make back up discs, It was one of the first things I did, so that is an option for me. This is my first laptop, so I was just wondering if things can be buggy at first, maybe some things need to be smoothed out, or if these are all signs of much worse to come? Not that the things that have already happened are not alarming...I bought directly from hp, also bought two year accidental plan. So probably should just get another replacement huh?

Collapse -
It's common
by Pontiff / July 19, 2009 4:48 PM PDT

It's pretty common that with a little pressure the drive will pop open. We have a brand new G series, with an AMD, and a 2 year old dv-2200 AMD, and the new one just started displaying the same behavior. With the older one, I just lived with it. It showed up after a couple of weeks when stress was put on the right front areas near the drive. I figured it was a design issue. That was two years ago. I also figured they had it worked out, and that they would be using either a new drive, or a new mobo to avoid having the returns that people less tolerant than I would be sure to request. Well, the new one is a couple of weeks old, and what do you know. . .the freaking SAME EXACT thing is happening. I'm glad I didn't spring for a new drive, looks like it the mobo. Both are Wistron.

Collapse -
Let me note something about All the quickplay lights were on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2009 9:11 PM PDT

"All the quickplay lights were on, no screen, would'nt turn on or off."

I thought two things when I read this. Today's owners are expecting all the old hanging computer issues to have been cured after decades. Hint: not yet.

-> But first I thought "I wonder what is plugged into the USB ports?" They didn't tell.

Yes, my hp dv model had that drive open issue but then I moved onto a desk surface and that stopped.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!