Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Having problems rebooting

I'm not sure if this is the system info that is needed, but please let me know if it isn't.

Intel Pentium 4
CPU Speed 3.00 GHz
CPU Bus Speed 800 MHz
System Memory 512 MB
Memory Speed 333 MHz

I use Windows XP Professional

When I try to reboot my computer a screen comes up and states:

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectely or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most settings that worked.

If previous startup attemt was interruped due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem choose Start Windows Normally.

Other Options are:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command prompt.

Ok, everytime that I click on any of these choses, it just keeps coming back to this screen.

Please help....I need to get in my computer and can't. I'm really stupid when it comes to computers.

Hope to be hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

Beverly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having problems rebooting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having problems rebooting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do You Have The Computer Recovery Discs?

In reply to: Having problems rebooting

What brand and model number is this computer?

Unfortunately, at this stage of the game, since you can't get it to boot at all, you don't have a lot of options. Performing a "repair" installation or a full reformat and reinstall of the operating system is frequently the best option.. But we'll need a little information from you. Most brand name computers come with a Recovery partition which allows you to reinstall everything.. Such recovery options also include the ability to create Recovery discs.. Do you have such items.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Computer will not reboot

In reply to: Do You Have The Computer Recovery Discs?

Thanks for getting back with me. No, I do not have recovery discs. One of my ex-friends built this computer for me and he didn't give me anything as far as discs. As far as the model and number, don't know it. I did notice that it has a IBM motherboard. Does that help? I do have the XP Office Pro disk. Will that help me? Is there anything else that might help besides wiping it out and starting all over? This computer is my livelihood and I have a data base on my computer and hate to lose that.

Thanks again,

Beverly

Collapse -
Office won't work. . .

In reply to: Computer will not reboot

Find a friend with an XP CD. You may be able to boot from that CD and do a repair.

Collapse -
Get data

If you have access to the XP pro OS CD, use it for the "repair option" if available. Otherwise, if you want to keep your data, get another HD, load XP pro on it. Make it the 1st HD or master. The other old HD can be slave and retrieve data. If data isn't that important, again use the XP OS CD to reload the operating system and start from scratch.

You can also, buy an ext. USB enclosure, mount your HD in it. Take that to another system and retrieve data using the USB port.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
'This computer is my livelihood'....

If such is the case, I'm sure you made backup copies of your work.. ?? Most burn copies to a DVD/CD or a flash drive.. Some of us learn the hard way how important that particular step is..

After you repair or reinstall the operating system (I would contact the 'ex-friend' and ask them for the original XP disc, etc.), you can use those backup copies and your Office disc to reinstall and recover those particular items but you WILL need an XP disc to repair or reinstall..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Computer is working now

In reply to: 'This computer is my livelihood'....

Hey Guys,

Want to thank you for all of your help. I just went ahead and wiped everything off of the computer and started over. I know I will doing backups on my work now. Thanks again!!

Beverly

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.