Computer Help forum

General discussion

having problem with two OS on dell

by Jmack16 / October 23, 2007 8:53 AM PDT

I am running windows vista ultimate x64 on my dell inspiron 6400. Dell originally had 4 partitions on my hard drive including the C. I wanted to install windows xp on a seperate partition as well but apparantly the maximum partitions i could have is 4. So i deleted the smallest partition that dell made which was 63 MB thinking thats where they put the MediaDirect since i had no use for mediadirect. I deleted that partition, made a new partition and left the 63MB unallocated. After i installed windows xp on the new partition and restarted i didnt get that screen with thats supposed to ask you which OS to start with. Instead it just started with xp. When i installed vista before (i originally had xp) i didnt have to install the drivers manually and everything was already installed. I thought the same thing would happen with if i reinstalled xp on a seperate partition but that was not so and i also realized that the 63 MB partition that i had deleted was nto mediadirect partition but it was some other partition. I then had to delete the partition that had the new windows xp installed thinking that vista would come autamatically but after i restarted that was not the case. So i put the vista CD in and repaired the vista start up. So now my first question is what happened to that screen thats supposed to ask me which OS to start with? was the reason why my drivers didnt install autamtically when i installed xp because i deleted that partition. I'm sorry for being so lengthy but i figured u guys should know exactly what i did. thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: having problem with two OS on dell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: having problem with two OS on dell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista does not initiate from the boot.ini file and ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 23, 2007 12:12 PM PDT

although XP recognises the Vista partition it doesn?t recognise Vista itself, Windows XP bootloader gets installed to the MBR and Vista can no longer boot. Adding XP after Vista is already installed requires a few additional steps so Vista's Boot configuration Data Store can point to XP's Boot.ini and allow a boot OS menu.

The following URL points to an easy fix -
http://apcstart.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

And this url offers about all the inf you need if you would rather use native BCD Editor (Bcdedit.exe) -
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/tips/debug_vista.mspx

And now you know.

Collapse -
and for that i say thank you so....
by Jmack16 / October 24, 2007 7:58 AM PDT

thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?