Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Having problem typing in some sites, please help

by splitdog / March 2, 2007 10:41 AM PST

My wife and I are having some problems trying to type information in some other sites we use. We try to type in something and all of a sudden it closes down and we get this 'MSN Box stating Error would you like to report this to MSN' or some sort. When you do, I believe it re-connects to the internet, it sends it, then disconnects, when you log back on a messege states...Would you like to Download MSN, but this does not help, but you can X out of this and go on to the main homepage and then continue to wherever you were. Can anyone out there please help remedy this situation for my wife and I? My wife and I would sure appreciate it. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having problem typing in some sites, please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having problem typing in some sites, please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
splitdog
by tomron / March 2, 2007 11:58 AM PST

Which sites are you having trouble with?

I would run some scans for viruses,spyware,etc.

Tom

Collapse -
by splitdog / March 3, 2007 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: splitdog

We are having problems with MSN sites and messageboards and a couple of others that are not MSN related such as Swiss Colony. We have ran scans, virus checks with Trend Micro PC-cillin, an everything comes out fine.

Collapse -
splitdog
by tomron / March 3, 2007 8:32 AM PST

Sometimes it's a cookie issue,try CCLEANER,which removes cookies,temp files,removes invalid registry entries.Sometimes it works,sometimes it doesn't. Happy

Tom

Collapse -
by splitdog / March 4, 2007 9:00 PM PST

Tried ccleaner, but unfortunately it didn't help. Received the same messege when I tried to do a survey for Esearch.com. The messege reads:

MSN has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something the info you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

It can give you an error signature and I pulled that up and received the following, didn't know if it will help:
AppName: msn6.exe
AppVer: 7.2.11.2700
ModName: mshtml.dll

One other thing I would like to point out is that- I have found if you go to another place on the site and click on it(i.e. a highlighted item) it brings up a new box, then when you go back to where you want to insert your item, order number, or if you want to write something then you can go ahead and do so without any error messege.

Collapse -
splitdog
by tomron / March 4, 2007 10:10 PM PST

I checked out the swiss colony site and those cakes look good. Happy

I forgot to ask what browser do you have,if it's IE7 there are known issues.

Try FIREFOX and see what happens.

Try AVG ANTI SPYWARE

Tom

Collapse -
by splitdog / March 5, 2007 2:24 PM PST

Downloaded and ran AVG anti-virus and anti-spyware, also downloaded Firefox and still having problems with the same issue. Any other possible solutions?

Collapse -
Ok
by tomron / March 5, 2007 9:43 PM PST

We eliminated the browser since you tried FF,I tried the site myself with no problems.

Go into services and disable error reporting service.

Start>run>services.msc

Scroll down to error reporting services>right click>properties>in the start up type box select disable

Tom

Collapse -
by splitdog / March 6, 2007 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Ok

Will try this and see what happens...BIG THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!

Bill

Collapse -
by splitdog / March 6, 2007 12:42 PM PST

tried what you said about disabling error reporting service then I went and had the same problem at esearch@esearch.com and I still get an MSN error messege. Boy, this is frustrating.

Collapse -
splitdog
by tomron / March 6, 2007 1:13 PM PST

I'm running out of ideas,maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas.

I don't know if this will work,but it can't hurt too try,LINK

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?