Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Having network problems with 1 computer

Hi,

I have 3 pcs sharing a wireless connection.
Pc 1 is running Windows XP Pro and is connected to the router.
Pc 2 is running Windows 98 and uses a wireless adapter.
Pc 3 is running Windows XP home and uses a wireless adapter. This is the Pc that I am having the problems connecting and staying connected to the internet. This pc is a Sony Vaio Pcvrz32g. I cannot stay connected to the internet with this pc. I must restart my Vaio and then reset the modem and router a couple of times a day just to get back on. It blinks out for no reason. If pc2 access the internet the the Vaio will not be able to stay online. All the pages just time out. The adapter always says the strength is good but you can't connect to any pages. I tried to set the Wep encryption last night and all the pcs could access the internet except the Vaio.

What is wrong with this one pc?
I wanted to buy a new router because mine is so old and doesn't have the speed or security of the newer models but there is no point until I can figure out what is happening with this one pc.

Thank You for any help you can give.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having network problems with 1 computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having network problems with 1 computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You will need to do a little.....

In reply to: Having network problems with 1 computer

troubleshooting to solve this one. I might start by disabling the wireless adapter on the problem PC and then connect to the router via ethernet. If the connection is maintained, this may point to a faulty adapter or an adapter in need of a firmware upgrade.

Collapse -
regarding trouble shooting.

In reply to: You will need to do a little.....

Hi,

I have dsl my modem is connected to my router and then my router to my pc.I had trouble with my dsl modem at first, so a tech from sbc came and while he setup my pc with the modem he graciously set up my router as well but of course after he left I learned of the problems with the Vaio.

The funny thing with this connection is I didn't get pc# 2 until a few years after the network setup but it has never had a connection problem. It is only my Vaio. I know a lot of people seem to have problems with these type of pcs.

I am up for any suggestions. I also want to know if I purchase another router do you think this problem might go away?

Collapse -
Sounds as if you have yet.....

In reply to: regarding trouble shooting.

to start any troubleshooting. What have you done up to this point since you have not tried my suggestion?

Collapse -
when the techie did mine

In reply to: regarding trouble shooting.

He re-ran the cd on the desktop first and then did my notebook (lappie) and I noticed he had two ethernet cables in which was where I was going wrong. He had the desktop ethernet in the router (netgear router) and then the lappie ethernet in from the lappie to the netgear .

I hope I am making sense so can I try and explain again. The two ethernet cables were both connected to the router with one end in the desktop and one end in the laptop (notebook)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.