Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

Alert

Having an issue

by Myrkr_Ormr / September 6, 2013 12:01 PM PDT

My little brother has a computer and a chrome book, he says that his net drops occassionally.

we have an ASUS router, only about a year old or so, and works great with all my devices: Laptop, VITA, 3DS, PC.
my Grandmothers PC connects to it just fine as well, never drops, ever, but for some reason his chrome book and PC lose their connection occassionally, while NOTHING else in this house does, only him.

so does anyone know what the problem could be? it cant be the router cause the rest of us dont have any issues with it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having an issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having an issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's supposed to drop. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Having an issue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Notice that in 802.11n OFDM 40MHz mode (which most routers do) you only get one channel and interference is a sure thing.

There's other reasons such as distance and location but some owners never figure it out. For those I suggest they return the bad thing as defective.
Bob
Collapse -
Not askin questions here anymore. Here's why.
by Myrkr_Ormr / September 8, 2013 1:42 AM PDT

None of yall read what is said. Ya just essentially say it is my problem and tell me how to deal with it as if it were my problem, despite my telling you EXACTLY why it ISNT my problem. So i will not be asking people here questions anymore. Sucks too cause i regarded Cnet pretty well...not anymore.

Collapse -
No it's my fault then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2013 1:56 AM PDT

I read your post and shared just one of many items it could be. I know consumers are more than upset over the non-support they get everywhere but here we can discuss what it can be but once in a while a new member flames out like this because they felt this must be the correct answer or disagreed with the answer.

Why not share what you think it is?
Why not return the product that is not working right?
Bob

Collapse -
Indeed, it's your brothers problem.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 8, 2013 1:59 AM PDT

Not your problem, you're only trying to help.

Things to try:
- a wired connection for his PC (and others) to have less load on the router
- a better wireless antenna for his PC
- try if his chromebook loses connection at other locations (a WiFi hotspot, a friend) too
- another location in the house, closer to the router (means: moving the router or moving your brother)
- a wireless extender if the previous point isn't possible
- data via the power line (the mains) in stead of wireless
- another router
- don't use wireless P2P (that's notorious)
- even better: don't use P2P (such as illegal downloads of movies) at all

Keep searching until you find a good solution for your brother.

Kees

Collapse -
Really! Bob's Right
by itsdigger / September 8, 2013 2:03 AM PDT

If everything else is working great and as you said "it Can't be the router" than why not return what doesn't work?

Collapse -
Return both the Chromebook and the PC?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 8, 2013 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Really! Bob's Right

I doubt if that's the best thing to do. That's why I gave some alternatives.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!