Computer Help forum

General discussion

Having an awful time with my computer.

by jeffafick / June 5, 2008 12:50 AM PDT

Hey all, new to the forums here. Basically, here's what's going on. I recently replaced my video card (I now have an ATI Radeon HD 3850) and everything seemed to be running fine. However, whenever I play a game (World of Warcraft specifically), after a while nine times out of ten my computer will just totally shut off. What I don't understand is that my card isn't running hot (40-50 degrees), there's no excessive heat through the fans or anything that would make me suspect something overheating. I've run a memory test, and my RAM is fine. The only thing I can think of is that my power supply isn't pumping enough juice to the video card. My computer is a modified pre-built HP, and the included power supply is only like a 300 Watt unit. Could a low power supply like this be the cause of my system shutting down?

Anyways, here's my pertinent specs:
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Processor
2 GB RAM
300 Gig Hard Drive
ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB Dual-Slotted Video Card
300 Watt Max Output Power Supply (doesn't reccomend going over 268 Watts)

Thanks in advance for your replies; I'm at the end of my rope.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having an awful time with my computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having an awful time with my computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why can't we put in a properly sized power supply?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 12:55 AM PDT

Even my kids machine has something double that. Please tell why you have something so paltry.
Bob

Collapse -
Hehe
by jeffafick / June 5, 2008 12:59 AM PDT

I'm sort of a computer tech noob, and I never thought about trying to replace the PSU. It's what came with the tower. But anyway, could that be my problem?

Collapse -
Too likely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Hehe
Collapse -
Hope that's all it is, then
by jeffafick / June 5, 2008 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Too likely.

I didn't get any notations or anything about the power supply. Does it make sense that the computer can run alright when i'm not gaming and then shuts off when I do? From the little I know about stuff like this, I would have imagined my card shouldn't even be able to turn ON if the wattage is too low.

Collapse -
Oh sure
by Jimmy Greystone / June 5, 2008 1:58 AM PDT

Oh sure, when the video card is just displaying your desktop or something like that, it's using only a fraction of the power it would playing a game.

nVidia has taken to including a low power warning message in their drivers, but apparently ATI hasn't followed suit.

Collapse -
You guys have been a big help
by jeffafick / June 5, 2008 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh sure

Well, isolating the problem has taken a bit of the weight off my shoulders. Incidentally, do any of you have a PSU you'd recommend for my PC? I was thinking something about 500 Watts with about 30 Amps should do the trick. I do know I have an ATX PSU.

Collapse -
Woops
by jeffafick / June 5, 2008 3:42 AM PDT

I said 30 Amps, I meant 30 Volts...so I'm wondering if I need a 500 Watt 30 Volt PSU, or if I can get by with a 15V one.

Collapse -
Standard PCs don't use 15 or 30 Volts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Woops

Something is wrong here.

Collapse -
(NT) I never found a P4 on the older AT power supplies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 3:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Trying to do some research of my own
by jeffafick / June 5, 2008 3:54 AM PDT

After looking through some websites and online stores, I notice most Power Supplies seem to run like +12V...not sure if that's what I need or not, can anyone help me out? I know I mentioned 15 and 30, but since I have no idea what i'm talking about, I'm probably totally off-base there.

Collapse -
You could have told the model number of your HP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 4:26 AM PDT

Does wonders when people need to determine what can be used.

Collapse -
Good Call
by jeffafick / June 5, 2008 5:50 AM PDT

I'll have to look it up when I get home tonight; not sure what it is off the top of my head. In the meantime, I want to thank you all for being so helpful.

Collapse -
My PC closes down too in graphic-intensive games
by PhilOfPerth / June 5, 2008 1:32 PM PDT

I have a Dell computer, and it regularly closes down in the middle of a game of Cossacks etc. From other comments, I believed this was a problem with Dell computer compatibility with my Radeon card, but maybe it's a power supply problem after all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?