Question

Having a problem using OCR feature on scanner.

I've had a Canon LiDe 90 Scanner for three years and mostly used it for scanning photos. I recently tried to use the OCR feature, but something isn't right. I've read what documentation came with it.
I can scan the newspaper clipping and I can get it to appear in a word processing
program, but it's not just the text that's showing up. I'm not getting just the text in the word processing program, I'm getting an image as though I'd scanned a photo. I'm sure I'm missing a step somewhere in
the process but I don't know what it is. My choices for saving the scan are as a TIFF, BMP or JPEG/Exif file. The program that came with the scanner is MP Navigator EX. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Having a problem using OCR feature on scanner.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Having a problem using OCR feature on scanner.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment.
- Collapse -
All I know is when I open up the menu

for MP Navigator I have the following options, Save, Copy, Print, Mail, OCR, Photo 1, Photo 2 and PDF. The version on my scanner is 1.0.

- Collapse -
All I can say is

That's nice but it's a shame they didn't document it or place it on an easy to find place on their web site.

About all you can try is uninstall and reinstall the app and see if they updated it if it fails. Notice the version I linked to is not 1.0 but 1.06
Bob

- Collapse -
Yes I noticed the link was to version 1.6

The reason I mentioned having 1.0 was because the manual that came with the scanner makes mention of OCR, so it seems odd that it would go away in a later version.

- Collapse -
Ok. It mentions OCR.

Using that manual (sorry I can't find one online) try the steps it details. If it fails, you have a breach of contract. I don't think there is any limit on such and you may want to attempt getting a refund since the product does not perform a feature that it was documented to do.
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) OK, thanks.

CNET Forums