HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Having a P3 system with 796mhz,512 of RAM and 80gig of hard.

by yacube / October 16, 2006 8:18 PM PDT

Its been a while have posted my blog in the room.Beacuse my engineer has always been there for me,but right now my engineer is no more here with so am facing a huge problems with my PC.
Am using a P3 system with 796mhz,512 of RAM and 80gig of hard disk with onboard processor.
My question is:-Wont that system crash with these Hardware installed?Also,Can i use a Cd writer to play a DVD?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having a P3 system with 796mhz,512 of RAM and 80gig of hard.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having a P3 system with 796mhz,512 of RAM and 80gig of hard.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2006 9:20 PM PDT

"Wont that system crash with these Hardware installed?"

I've yet to find any PC that never crashed. So the answer is always yes, it will eventually crash. Hopefully it's so infrequent that it doesn't become a problem.

"Also,Can i use a Cd writer to play a DVD?"

No. But you can try if you don't believe it.

Bob

Collapse -
No and No
by leotech222 / October 16, 2006 9:25 PM PDT

The system should run alright without crashing, according to the hardware that u listed.You should be using XP as operating system for best results and overall stability.As far as using your cdrw as a dvd player,it's just not going to happen,unless it's a combo drive with a cdrw and dvd capability.Hope that helps u out.

Collapse -
No
by JeffDeWitt / October 17, 2006 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: No and No

That combination should be fine, but you might inspect the motherboard for leaking and swollen capacitors. Many machines of that vintage had a bad capacitor problem.

As another poster mentioned you cannot play DVDs in a straight CDRW, however as cheap as these drives are these days you could upgrade to a CDRW/DVD for very little money.

I must disagree with leotech about XP. This system will run XP fine, but when you start doing anything it's going to run out of steam pretty quickly, you would probably be a lot happier with Windows 2000.

Just as a point of reference I can legally put XP on this system, but it's an old dual P3 powered IBM IntelliStation with Win2k, and it runs just fine.

Jeff

Collapse -
A dual P3. Cool machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: No

Sorry for commenting here, but my last dual was a dual Pentium Pro Overdrive. It still lives. I gifted it to another engineer which could appreciate it.

After the kitchen remodeling I'll be shopping for a new Core 2 Duo powered system.

Bob

Collapse -
Dual Processor machines
by JeffDeWitt / October 17, 2006 3:49 AM PDT

Yep, it's an old IBM IntelliStation M Pro with dual PIII processors, 768MB, a 36GB SCSI HD and a Matrox G450 video card with dual 21" monitors.

This is my work system, they've offered to replace it with a newer one a couple of times but this is a great old machine.

But then there is the other machine I've been playing with (that I have to put back), it's also an IntelliStation but it's a new Z Pro with dual 3.6 Gig Zeon processors, 2 GB of RAM, a nVidia Quadro FX1300 video card and it's running Vista. VERY cool machine, wish I could afford to take it home.

Jeff DeWitt

Collapse -
I got that!!!
by yacube / October 19, 2006 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: No and No

I got your message.I will install the 512mb of ram on it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.