Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Having a Computer Built. Help!!!

by Bummers / February 24, 2006 5:08 AM PST

I'm going to have a new computer, but I want one built (not by me). But I'm at a loss as to which processor to have Intel P4 or Athlon 64. Also I would like a 3D graphics card. Basically I'm on the internet a lot, I like to use my computer for digital photography and other graphics and I like to play point and click adventure games (Broken Sword etc). The latter being the reason for the new computer the games I want to play now need a bigger processor than I have and also some need a 3D graphics card. Can anyone give me some advice. I'm not a hard core gamer but I'd like to have a computer that's going to last me at least 4 years before I'll need to upgrade anything.
Thank you in anticipatition.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having a Computer Built. Help!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having a Computer Built. Help!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OK
by ikjadoon / February 24, 2006 5:47 AM PST

A few months ago, I would've slapped down a build, changes, a price, even reviews on each part. But not today. You say "...last me at least 4 years before I'll need to upgrade anything." I would recommend that you wait until 06/06/06 and later for the new Socket used on the Athlon 64, AM2. The old socket, 939, has a slowly dying upgrade path.

But, 939 will be sticking around for a long time, not nearly as long as AM2 will be. Here is just a basis on specs:
Athlon 64 3500+ (Socket 939)
eVGA 6600
1GB of RAM
120GB of HDD Space
An ample 450 PSU
And other little items, like a sound card, motherboard, etc. Not saying they are unimportant but usually your builder will have one ready. hth

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
a little more cash...
by linkit / February 24, 2006 6:54 AM PST

If it is in the budget, bump the CPU up to a dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2. The X2 line starts with the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ model.

Also, a nice video card would be the nVidia 6800GS.

Collapse -
What I would build
by billzhills / February 24, 2006 9:45 PM PST

P4 2.6 Ghz 533 FBS (front buss speed) socket T
or
AMD Althon 64 3200+ 939 socket

2/256 MB DDR 400 Memory. Total of 512 MB.
Dual memory channel motherboard with on board S/V/L (Sound, Video, LAN) (M/B from Mnf that offers a 3 year warranty)

80 gig SATA hard drive

Dual Layer DVD

Case example. I'll call this an inexpensive case, not cheap. It does have some issues which I live with due to the air flow and over-alll looks.

2/80 mm Case fans

XP Home. Total price under $800.

These items will make a nice budget system with room for expansion. If you go with AMD make sure the memory FBS exceeds that of the CPU. Creates a large performace boost to the AMD CPUs.

Video card I cannot help with. I depend on other members here to help me make those choices by searching within the froums.

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.