Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Have you patched your Windows machine for the latest IE browser bug?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have you patched your Windows machine for the latest IE browser bug?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have you patched your Windows machine for the latest IE browser bug?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In progress

I've applied it on my laptop, but not my desktops yet. I'm in no rush because I almost never use IE. I use Firefox and Chrome for just about everything.

Collapse -
patched?

In reply to: In progress

havent used IE for - cant even remember - went to firefox and actually
deleted IE ! and thats no easy task since there is no uninstall for it.

Collapse -
IE uninstall

In reply to: patched?

Would you please pass along the procedure you used to uninstall Internet Explorer? The patch Microsoft provided disabled Outlook Express; rendered the Help and Support feature in the Start Menu inoperative and rendered IE inoperative as well. I had to do a partial repair of XP to get my system operating again.

Collapse -
I see most covered how IE is part of the OS.

In reply to: IE uninstall

It would be proper for all that to happen if you uninstalled IE. Why not use your PC and ignore IE?
Bob

Collapse -
I see most covered

In reply to: I see most covered how IE is part of the OS.

when I use Ccleaner, run 'analyze' there is obviouse signs in the IE list that make it
apparent - to me anyway - that IE is still doing ' something' hahaha
so I thought to get rid of it. I have managed to "I think" to stop that but cant
just get rid of all IE stuff - system does not like that - suprised I dont get a waggling
finger at me hahahaha just get really scary msg's about system function.
soooo its not exactly gone 100% so yes it deff must be a part of the OS.

Collapse -
The deff part of the OS.

In reply to: I see most covered

IE's RENDERING (emphasis mine) shows up in many places such as Outlook Express. To view HTML email, IE's bits and pieces are called into play.

IE's RENDERING (again, my emphasis) shows up in Windows Explorer (not to be confused with Internet Explorer) to render previews, thumbnails of some files.

And there's more such as printing where the render engine may call on parts of IE to do some work.

IE is very much embedded in many apps that Windows came with.
Bob

Collapse -
ie uninstall

In reply to: IE uninstall

after going thru some hassles, I would say to just leave it alone.
I went thru the windows directory and searched out all IE programs
and started deleting - some it wont let you delete, and some it says
they are being used and cant delete.
I got rid of a lot of pgms and folders - but they are still in my recycle
bin - just in case.
so far it does not seem that what I have deleted has made an impact
on anything - time will tell.

Collapse -
Yup

Got'er Done

Digger

Collapse -
i know two good patches

there are two terrific patches for IE:

1) chrome
2) firefox

some talk about Opera, but those first two patches are so outstanding i never bothered with Opera, except i thought it was pretty cool how Opera you had browser-windows, not just merely browser-tabs (hint hint to chrome and FF)

Collapse -
Patch: What Patch?

Where is it? Keeping checking for MS updates for my PC and can't find it.

Collapse -
To Repeat My Earlier Message: Where's the Patch?

I keep reading about it but can't find it and still no automatic updates from MS

Collapse -
The patch is in Windows update.

In reply to: To Repeat My Earlier Message: Where's the Patch?

Collapse -
FIX is Still Missing from Updates

In reply to: The patch is in Windows update.

Thanks for the response. I normally have used the Notify Me of Updates setting so I know what's being installed, but have had no notifications since May 1.

I have been checking for updates manually several times a day and nothing. Last night, I gave up and set it for Automatic Updates. It ran at 2:42 a.m. Pacific Time and still nothing. Is there a hierarchy of fixes- I'm stiil on IE 9; Windows 7, 64 bit. Also just tried the MS Support link in your note and it says page unavailable!

Collapse -
Sorry., wrong link.

In reply to: FIX is Still Missing from Updates

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!