General discussion

Have you noticed how completely Clint Eastwood's political

theatre bit has completely upstaged Romney's address to the RNC.? I have heard lots about Clint, but little about Romney.

Additionally, Clint demonstrated just how hard Stand-Up is. To be that organized, and sensitive enough to your audience to get them on your side so you can deliver your work.

I like Clint. I like his taste in Jazz, the fact that he still plays the piano, and speaks his mind. I also generally like his later movies. Not the pandering of the Dirty Harry series, but Unforgiven and GTO and that political caper movie, and In the Line of Fire. Good stuff. I'd love to spend an afternoon with him talking Jazz.

Rob

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Have you noticed how completely Clint Eastwood's political
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Have you noticed how completely Clint Eastwood's political
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Agreed,Rob..Few people know that Clint is...................

an accomplished Jazz pianist.Ditto on his films,though I always enjoyed his "Rowdy Yates" character on Rawhide.

I also watch Bill Maher's show out of curiosity just to see what venom he'll spout.Curiously enough,he actually praised Clint's speech,saying he nailed it.In true Maher fashion though,he did go on to call Clint a right-wing republican A/hole.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/09/bill-maher-eastwood-killed-it-134038.html

Clint is a Libertarian not republican and simply views Romney as the lesser of two evils.

- Collapse -
Clint first played piano in City Heat, an amusing Depression

Era movie with Burt Reynolds, and Madeleine Kahn, and later in In the Line of Fire. I have also seen him interview a jazz pianist discussing the greats with bits of performance. and of course he made the movie Bird, which isn't exactly what one would expect from someone addressing the Republican convention. A brilliant black junkie musician. Not exactly a subject likely to attract the base, but that was years ago.

Actually the Gene Hackman character from Unforgiven was more appropriate to address the Republican convention IMO. But maybe Hackman doesn't agree with Clint on this issue.

- Collapse -
Should you care to read the entry on the Democratic Party

in Wikipedia, you will read that Libertarians in the 19th Century voted Democratic.

Rob

- Collapse -
He's an accomplished composer as well

I believe he wrote the music for Unforgiven and a couple of his other films.

I like him too, in spite of the spectacle he made of himself the other night. And frankly, drying paint (or Al Gore) could upstage Mitt Romney.

- Collapse -
Clint was very clever..

especially in portraying Obama as pooka like being. Jimmy Stewart and Harvey would have enjoyed the show.

- Collapse -
Glad you got the reference, though that's the MSM's

interpretation. There's a comedy tradition of addressing an empty chair for comic effect which predates the Jimmy Stewart movie. Personally I was disappointed that it wasn't tighter, but as noted above, being a comedian in front of 50,000 live bodies is a very special skill practiced by very few.

Rob

- Collapse -
The Republican take on Clint's speech

has been to disavow and distance themselves as far as possible from Clint's speech.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/scocca/2012/08/clint_eastwood_gop_convention_the_romney_campaign_sells_out_its_surprise_speaker_.single.html

"And now we have the Man With No Name being ridden out of Tampa on Rafalca's back" (Ann Romney's dressage horse which went to the Olympics), "as the Romney campaign trashes its celebrity guest speaker to protect itself."

"This is not the best way to demonstrate that your candidate is something other than a ruthless human weathervane (that is, a successful business consultant). But the Clint Eastwood debacle undermines the other half of Romney's message even more. In disavowing Eastwood's performance, the campaign is pleading total incompetence."

"Initially, there were no plans for Mr.
Eastwood to take a chair onstage as a prop. But at the last minute, the
actor asked the production staff backstage if he could use one, but did
not explain why. "The prop person probably thought he was going to sit
in it," a senior aide said.

Again, this is the campaign's defense: In advance of the
candidate's biggest public speech to date, at the climax of a tightly
orchestrated multiple-day political performance, Team Romney sent an
actor out to wing it on national television.

"They screwed up the un-screwuppable. This was like having one of the
featured guests at the State of the Union drop his trousers on camera.
If you botch that, how are you going to execute the more complicated
constitutional duties? Mitt Romney can't handle Clint Eastwood trying to
do him a favor, and he wants to take on unfriendly negotiations with
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Vladimir Putin?"

As noted before, I like Clint, whether he's a Republican or not, but I did find his speech fragmented and somewhat hard to follow, and I wasn't in the audience or a Republican watching from home.

- Collapse -
Don't be too hard on yourself, not everybody

gets good humor/acting, but, Bill Maher got it.

"As a performer, as a stand-up comedian for 30 years who knows how hard it is to get laughs, excuse me, he went up there ... without a net, on a tightrope. There was no teleprompter. He did a bit with just an empty chair and killed," Maher said. "He committed to it, it was consistent and it worked.'

"People have been saying for years: these conventions are too scripted, they're too slick, they're too overproduced," he added. "A guy who went up there who wasn't slick ... and killed with the crowd? I gotta give him props for that." Bill Maher

http://newsone.com/2033655/bill-maher-clint-eastwood-rnc/

CNET Forums