Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Have you heard the latest about the illegals

by Diana Forum moderator / April 27, 2006 1:47 PM PDT
Spanish 'Star Spangled Banner' -- Touting the American Dream or Offensive Rewrite?

They're calling it "Nuestro Himno" or "Our Anthem.".

They even changed the lyrics English version: And the rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

Spanish version: In the fierce combat, the sign of victory, the flame of battle in step with liberty through the night it was said it was being defended.

I don't know about you but they might as well call it our anthem - it certainly isn't mine.

It is supposed to debuting on Spanish-language radio stations at 7pm EDT all over the country.

Diana
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have you heard the latest about the illegals
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have you heard the latest about the illegals
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And to think these back stabbing hipocrites...
by caktus / April 27, 2006 3:58 PM PDT

want us to open our homeland to them.

I understand illegals are prepping to boycott businesses of "Gringo's" (US residents of Caucasian or black descent). As far as I am concerned they boycott "Gringo's" forever and take thier sorry tails to thier own homes as I'm sure they are wanted and needed here even less than they realize. We "Gringo's" need to start boycotting them and the un-American slime that use thier labor.

Collapse -
The American Kosovo
by James Denison / April 27, 2006 10:19 PM PDT

That's what we have going on here. All these nice illegal immigrants taking over the southern part of our country, and here we are being so cruel to them. Who are we to consider this "our land"? We are starting to sound more and more like Serbia every day. May the UN save us from ourselves and from trying to protect ourselves from this invasion of wonderful illegals, from trying to save our homeland from them. If we try to force all these illegals back into Albania er, Mexico, someone should call us "criminals" and bomb the hell out of us till we comply with UN mandates. Who the hell do we think we are?!

Collapse -
They're hijacking our culture
by dirtyrich / April 27, 2006 9:21 PM PDT

and doing more damage to our nation than any amount of Muslim fundamentalists can.
I really hope everyone wakes up and realizes that these wetbacks (if they can call us gringos...) need to be kicked back where they came from.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) We need to hijack their entry into our homeland.
by caktus / April 28, 2006 8:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Latin Hollywood actors back immigrant boycott
by Mark5019 / April 27, 2006 9:29 PM PDT

ncluding Edward James Olmos and Salma Hayek, have joined ranks with a boycott planned for May 1 to protest the proposed tightening of US immigration laws.

Activists have called for immigrants and their supporters to abstain from work, studies or purchases Monday, following on massive demonstrations they staged around the United States in the past month.

May 1 is not a holiday in the United States, where Labor Day is celebrated in September.

"The protest will be very important, because it will teach a lesson to politicians and the rest of the United States," Olmos, who is of Mexican descent, said of the action.

Oscar-winning Argentine composer Gustavo Santaolalla and Colombian actor John Leguizamo also lent their names to the cause.

Hayek, who is Mexican, said she knows herself what it means to "open a path" in the United States, as she told the Mexican press.

Before departing on a European promotional tour, Hayek was considering how she could support the May 1 boycott, a source close to the actress said.

"We have to demand respect and dignity, because we are all workers and because we are already part of the DNA of this country," Santaolalla, Oscar winner for the score to "Brokeback Mountain,"

seems we need to boycott them we pay there outragious salleries.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/27/060428003322.epcumvdx.html

Collapse -
RE: Hollywood actors
by caktus / April 28, 2006 8:38 AM PDT

I say we boycott these un-American citizens and [their] work and let everyone know it. And as they see [their] sales plummet I'll bet we see their loyalty to America rise.

Collapse -
No problem.
by Angeline Booher / April 29, 2006 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Hollywood actors
Collapse -
Re: the boycott. The best comment I heard was....
by Angeline Booher / April 29, 2006 3:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
LOL! Probably not..........
by Glenda / April 30, 2006 9:15 AM PDT

I heard on the news (Again) Devil That the Mexicans in Mexico are protesting that we have Americanized their country too much! I find that hilarious when I can't even order fast food and understand the server! LOL

Collapse -
Something else that really PO'S me
by tomron / April 28, 2006 2:36 AM PDT

Again i saw an employment ad which says"bilingual a must"

Why the hell do i have to speak another language to be employed in my own country.There should be a law to stop this madness.I beleive some time ago that English was to be made the official language,what happened,or did i hear wrong.

I wonder what the protesters have to say about an American who is prevented from obtaining empolyment due to the fact that they do not speak spanish.

Tom

Collapse -
I look at this from a different angle
by hh / April 28, 2006 3:38 AM PDT

Being bilingual does not necessarily mean to accomodate the people 'in this country' but if the business is involved in international business, to be able to communicate with them. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and having language skills is something not many Americans appreciate, just because English is the most important and most widely used language around the world.
I personally can converse in 5 languages, and I find this to be an asset in business as well as foreign travel. But I also strongly support 'one language rule' when it comes to our schools or workplace, as far as communication between the employees or students are concerned.

Collapse -
"bilingual a must"...they'd also have to speak English
by JP Bill / April 28, 2006 4:44 AM PDT

Suppose you were working in a store, hotel, airport where there were Mexican tourists.

In the country legally as a tourist, wouldn't a business like to serve their customers in their own language?

Collapse -
but its not mainly tourists
by Mark5019 / April 28, 2006 4:50 AM PDT

its the invaders the law breakers whom the pc crowd wants to kow tow to.
english is the language here

Collapse -
The type of work that...
by tomron / April 28, 2006 6:39 AM PDT

i do/seek has not thing one to do with interpreting foreign langauges,as so with most americans.

How about if i service someones stove or refrigeratior,so in order to accomplish this task i need to speak another langauge,i think not.If i apply for a position as a maintenance tech,why do i have to speak another langauge.Thats my point,I'm not talking about applying for a job as an interpreter.

If we follow your logic every american would have to learn every langauge there is.If one works at the airport or hotel and there are tourists from china,well,i guess i should learn chinese also.

Tom

Collapse -
I have been...
by J. Vega / April 28, 2006 12:48 PM PDT

With my work, I have been in many other countries where English was not their primary language. In the stores and hotels there, the majority of the employees did not speak English. It was nice that a few did, but they didn't require it of all of their employees.

Collapse -
There is absolutely no reason...
by tomron / April 28, 2006 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: I have been...

why an american should be denied gainful employment based on a langauge barrier is absolutely absurd.If foreigners come to america and expect everyone to give up their native langauge and not care if americans are unable to find employment,well,as far as i'm concerened that is nothing less then disrespect.

Tom

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) RE: waht happened -- radical liberals happened
by caktus / April 28, 2006 8:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
"Change" is not the right word, Diana.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 28, 2006 2:55 AM PDT

Good translations are never exact, because what's idiomatic in one language usually isn't pleasant to the ear in another. That's why the Babelfish dual translations (English to language X and back) always sound so odd, because a computer does a literal translation both ways, and the result is often comical, sometimes unintelligible, and seldom pleasant.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Hmmm......no comment against.....
by John Robie / April 28, 2006 4:36 AM PDT

so assume you would relish singing in Spanish and English on the 4th of July, VFW events, and at all our sporting events.

Collapse -
I don't know about you but
by Diana Forum moderator / April 28, 2006 7:33 AM PDT

I've never heard another national anthem in English. I can't image La Marseillaise being sung in anything by French.

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I wonder just who's ear is isn't pleasant to
by caktus / April 28, 2006 8:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Change is EXACTLY the right word
by Evie / April 28, 2006 10:56 PM PDT

It barely resembles the Star Spangled Banner in melody!

Collapse -
GoodGrief.....it should only be sung in Mexico City
by John Robie / April 28, 2006 4:31 AM PDT

when NASCAR races there and when any of our sports teams play in a South American country, or Spain. Practically all the people in the Philippine speak English, so no need there. Can you imagine singing in Spanish and English at our USA races & sporting events?

Singing a Spanish Star Spangled Banner in the USA at most events is sacrilegious......in Canada....well I doubt if some here would mind ??

Our politicians, Republicans/Democrats, surely saw crud like this coming...eh!

Collapse -
Just on our local 6PM TV news, Pres .Bush says
by John Robie / April 28, 2006 9:05 AM PDT

our National Anthem should be sung in English and people should learn English.

The Spanish version should be released in an hour.

Collapse -
It should not be allowed..
by Rolway / April 28, 2006 9:11 AM PDT

And anyone who supports singing OUR National Anthem in anything other than English should be deported with rest of the fence jumpers. Gonna have to draw the line here with these illegals. Speak English or get the hell out. Boy, these taco crunchers sure got a lot of nerve.

George

Collapse -
At least Roseanne Barr screeched it in English when
by John Robie / April 29, 2006 3:51 AM PDT

she appeared at that ball park and then spit/scratched herself like a player trying to be comical.

Have heard some awful English renditions in the last decade by some 'Rockers' and 'Motown' singers. Tony Holmes linked a good rendition in another post.

'Course there is no one who can belt out 'God Bless America' as good as or better than the late Kate Smith.

Collapse -
They could call it the "immigrant song"
by Cindi Haynes / April 29, 2006 8:33 AM PDT

Oh wait. That's already taken. Wink

Cindi

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Jos
by Edward ODaniel / April 30, 2006 8:58 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.