HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Have we set a record . . .

by Coryphaeus / May 16, 2009 10:55 PM PDT

for the number of locked threads on one page. Geez.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have we set a record . . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have we set a record . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I seem to remember more at one time, but...
by James Denison / May 16, 2009 10:57 PM PDT

...can't remember the exact number.

Collapse -
(NT) 6 out of 25....... could be worse Wayne ;-)
by jonah jones / May 17, 2009 12:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
In fairness ...
by Bill Osler / May 17, 2009 1:26 AM PDT

The forum policy clearly states that political posts are not allowed. A small number of our members have been blatantly ignoring that rule. A lot of posts end up locked. There is nothing surprising about that.

Personally I think the rule about not allowing political discussion is self defeating. News and politics are some of the things many people are interesting in discussing. I have been surprised at some of the obviously political threads that have been left open, but maybe that illustrates the problem. The moderators don't want to shut down ALL of the new material so they are forced to choose between enforcing an unworkable rule OR virtually shutting down the forum.

Collapse -
Or dumping the rule....
by EdHannigan / May 17, 2009 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: In fairness ...

which would be best.

Collapse -
I'm not sure that is within the moderator's power
by Bill Osler / May 17, 2009 2:39 AM PDT

I obviously agree that dumping the political discussion rule would be appropriate. Personally I think that doggedly trying to keep unenforceable rules harms the forum, but I suspect that the decision has to be made at a higher level than the moderators.

That said, I don't think that ignoring the political posting ban is a terribly effective way to convince the mods or Lee or whomever that the rule should go.

I note that of the 7 locked posts on 'Page 1' of the forum a moment ago 6 were started by just 2 forum members and it was completely predictable in each case that the thread was going to end up locked. All were overtly political, at least 2 were continuations of locked threads, and at least 1 was blatantly offensive to the point that IMO it was a TOS violation. I'm a bit surprised that the moderators didn't simply delete those 3 on sight. Given this situation, in which a lot of the locked threads are obviously going to 'go south' I wonder whether there might be better solutions than just locking problem threads.

Collapse -
Locking rather than deleting
by Steven Haninger / May 17, 2009 4:51 AM PDT

might be a way to show examples of what's not acceptable and what one consequence might be. Sometimes a deleted post has a message to the poster as to the reason it disappeared. Didn't they, at one time, line the road to London with heads of criminals impaled on sticks that would greet travelers entering the city? Welcome to..... Happy

Collapse -
That might work here ...
by Bill Osler / May 17, 2009 6:12 AM PDT

To work well the lock would have to be placed early in the process rather than late.

Collapse -
I've had success at predicting locks
by drpruner / May 18, 2009 3:30 AM PDT

by noting the originators.

The #)_}^%&% idiots deserve to get locked. Happy

Collapse -
Amen
by James Denison / May 17, 2009 2:49 AM PDT

Life is all around us and it's not so easily compartmentalized so one can exclude politics from everything when it has an overbearing influence on every aspect of our lives, on banks, on business, on taxes, on property, on self defense, on welfare, on health, our cars, our gasoline, our crops and ethanol production, on weather related issues, global warming matters, international trade, etc.

Collapse -
You got it, James!
by Paul C / May 17, 2009 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Amen

To use an example: For the average believer (or skeptic) in global warming, even the weather's a likely cause for political action, for God's sake. In a society ostensibly based on democratic principles, almost everything takes on some political dimension.

You can no more separate politics from everyday life than you can separate the color green from grass; of course, notwithstanding that fact, we both know that there are many who, for whatever reason, will happily try.

Collapse -
Yes, but shouldn't discussions of differences
by Steven Haninger / May 17, 2009 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: You got it, James!

of opinion be able to be self limited to constructive criticisms rather than turn into pit bull fights?

Collapse -
(NT) from your mouth to **** ear
by jonah jones / May 17, 2009 12:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
I've been mostly successful at predicting locks
by drpruner / May 18, 2009 3:24 AM PDT

by observing the tone of the posts.

The #)_}^%&% idiots deserve to get locked. Happy

Collapse -
I believe a previous high
by drpruner / May 18, 2009 3:51 AM PDT

was in the runup to First Tuesday in November. I made a similar comment.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.