Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Have we destroyed perfectly good words??

by Steven Haninger / February 7, 2006 11:44 PM PST

It seems one can no longer use the words liberal or conservative in other than political expressions without adding a qualifier to the statement or risk being incorrectly understood. If you injure yourself and your medicinal salve says to ''apply a ''liberal'' amount to the wound era'', does this mean to glob it on without worrying about waste or harm to the environment (as one might say is characteristic of a Conservative), or does it mean to use it sparingly and carefully after much thought and personal anguish (as one might say is characteristic of a Liberal)? How many other words have lost or changed their perceived definitions or references due to popular or common usage? How many folks here still like to ''Don their ''gay'' apparel'' at Christmas time?:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have we destroyed perfectly good words??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have we destroyed perfectly good words??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Words evolve.
by Dan McC / February 7, 2006 11:58 PM PST

Check out what's happened to "nice" over the years.

Dan

Collapse -
Nice Link !
by grimgraphix / February 8, 2006 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Words evolve.
Wink

Very interesting and a site I will have to explore further.

grim
Collapse -
Remember when you could
by duckman / February 7, 2006 11:59 PM PST

"bum a ***?"

Collapse -
Perhaps at least one Moderator
by John Robie / February 8, 2006 1:10 AM PST

at Christmas time.
Wink

Collapse -
You forgot
by Glenda / February 8, 2006 1:12 AM PST

Halloween! That's when the skirt comes out Devil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ;-)
by John Robie / February 8, 2006 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: You forgot
Collapse -
on a consertative scale of 1 to 10
by jonah jones / February 8, 2006 1:31 AM PST

i would say that liberal amounts of alcohol are a 10

Wink

Collapse -
Not by everybody.
by Angeline Booher / February 8, 2006 1:36 AM PST

I admit that politics does impact many, or arguably most, aspects of our lives, for me it is not the most important, or even interesting, topic of conversation. So the words you cite continue to have perfectly good usage. Not everyone has stained liberal and conserative, even when capitalized. Though gay is the word selected by that community, it does not effect it's other usage, just as queen does not.

Sure, some do see these words as being always exclusive to how they are sometimes used.

But heck, I remember when Republican and Democrat only identied a political party, not as bastions of evil that some now see them. I'll add Moderate as being unseemingly in some eyes.

I think when we get away from politcal stuff the words are not destroyed.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Can you say?
by hh / February 8, 2006 2:19 AM PST

I am liberally conservative, or, conservatively liberal?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I mangle them everyday (LOL)
by Roger NC / February 8, 2006 11:22 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.