Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

have dial up..want DSl or cable ?

by raliegh / October 23, 2005 9:40 PM PDT

i am currently using a dial up connection 45k on good days, I want to change to DSL or Cable, but do not know which, currently Bell south has a good cheap deal in my area DSL, but we have 3 computers that some times are used at the same time, do I need a $75 modem for each one? and basicaly same question for cable though thier prices are kinda high.

thanks for your input
Raliegh

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: have dial up..want DSl or cable ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: have dial up..want DSl or cable ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ADSL/cabel
by Kees Bakker / October 23, 2005 10:23 PM PDT

Raleigh,

What you need:
1. A modem to connect you with the ADSL or cable
2. A router that on one site connects with the modem, and the other side with up to 4 PC's (via a NIC). As an added advantage, these PC's can communicate between each other (a socalled 'home network') sharing printers and files, if you configure the system like that.

Your choice between cable and ADSL should be based on:
- the speed you need
- the price you wanna pay (one-time install, modem/router and monthly payments)
- the download volume allowed in the montly payment and the added costs of extra Gb downloaded (can go quite high if you use it to download movies, use P2P, play Internet games, watch telly, listen to Internet radio and all those nice things possible)
- quality of helpdesk and service (as experienced by other people you happen to know)
- software you need to install; I would opt for NO required software - just plug any PC into the router and Internet should work
- time needed to get things working
- if they send someone to install it (if you want so and need so)

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
more questions
by raliegh / October 24, 2005 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: ADSL/cabel

ok so ADSL is ?? proabably OK. so exactly what is the router function?
does this router require hard wire, to each computer?

you see one computer is actually in a detached Garage behind my house , a place I use for personal as well as business working and the best location for the main connection to the computers,
can I purchase other modems to use on the bellsouth system from say Circuit city or simlar place?

also the same questions for the router system, purchase?
thanks again for all your help.
raliegh

Collapse -
Raliegh..
by jackintucson / October 24, 2005 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: more questions

Your best bet would be to set up a wireless network. The distance might be to great and certainly a pain for hard wiring it. Here is a link that explains how it works and what you need.

http://www.geeks.com/pix/techtips-17MAR05.htm

There is a "part 2" to this also.

As for additional modems: no you only need one. The ideal placement would be a computer that is both closest to the garage and a telephone hookup. This allows the signal to get through the wall enough for the PC in the garage to pick up the signal. Make sure you purchase quality adapters. The specs on these will show how far away the signal travels. Let us know.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Re: more questions
by Kees Bakker / October 24, 2005 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: more questions

Raliegh,

Some of your questions has been answered already, so I can be short.

- A router is a device that 'divides' the one Internet connection between up to 4 PC's. No need to install any software, it's totally transparent.
- The router can be connected hardwired or wireless or a mix, depending on where everything is.
- It might well be that Bellsouth has an offer including a modem. Then there's no need to buy and configure one yourself. And they might even have a 'multi-PC-modem' (that's a modem and a router combined). It's best to follow their advice, because you'll get the best support from their helpdesk when they know what you have. You can't expect them to help you with configuring modem x and router y in case of problems.

You'll love the always-on broadband, I hope.

Kees

Collapse -
In addition to Kees' info. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 24, 2005 12:08 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?